Thread: Idle help

+1

Idle help

Hi All,

I purchased a 1998 slxh a couple of months ago. Since I bought it (confirmed by previous owner and experienced by me), it has idling issues. I have changed out all the fuel lines (gray tempo) and had a shop rebuild the carbs with the rebuild kits.

It basically has two positions it likes to be in... Full speed or off. If you try and idle it (to get out of the no wake zone), it kills pretty quickly. I can turn the choke on apply a bit of gas and it works ok, but you it's still pretty tempermental.

The other problem with it is if I'm out riding and let off the gas, if I don't keep reving it, it will sometimes die..

Like I said, at top speed, it's a beast and really a fun machine, but it's
    a pain that the lower speeds don't work...

So, my question, could this be as simple as adjusting the carbs or is it something more serious? I don't know a thing about carb adjusting, but I'm sure I could find a competant shop around (on a side note, if you live in Utah and know any good PWC shops in the SLC/Provo area, please let me know).

Thanks,

Mike

+1
    There is an Idle speed adjusting screw that is made of plastic,I'm sure it could wear over time,but I would imagine only a couple 100 rpm. It should be 1200 rpm in the water. The screw is on the front of the front carb,has a large head (like 1/4 - 7/16 " )
    All 3 carbs also need to be synchronized ( their connecting parts can wear) This procedure is explained in the service manual found in the tech section.

+1
    Thanks... Do I have to remove the carbs to see the screw? The only screw I'm seeing is the carb adjustment screw, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong place. (Very front of the carbs closest to the front of the craft).

Also, my mfd doesn't work. Any way to tell what RPM you're at without one? I'm guessing not. I have the service manual downloaded, but am still trying to sort everything out. Thanks again,

Mike

Thanks,

Mike

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sortsol View Post
    Thanks... Do I have to remove the carbs to see the screw? The only screw I'm seeing is the carb adjustment screw, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong place. (Very front of the carbs closest to the front of the craft).

Also, my mfd doesn't work. Any way to tell what RPM you're at without one? I'm guessing not. I have the service manual downloaded, but am still trying to sort everything out. Thanks again,

Mike

Thanks,

Mike
    Yes it is on the carb closest to the front of the craft,on the hull side (away from the engine)
    You need a mirror to actually see it,it's under the body. You should be able to turn it with your fingers,probably why the screw head is soo large.

It's #31 in this picture

+1
    Found it... Thanks for the help.. And yes, I was able to turn it with my fingers. I'll have to make final adjustments at the lake, but now I know what I'm doing. Thanks again.

Mike

Thread Information