Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: still no speed?

+1

still no speed?

Ok so long story short I have all the mods listed below and my ski is only running 66-67 at 7180 rpms it seems that my rpms are very inconsitant from 6900-7200 depending on the run?

what I have done:

-compression check 144,142,144
    -check wear ring (look good)
    -pump is OK I can fit a nickel between a flat edge and the pump
    -prop look great
    -efi is at 6-6-2-9 (tried a lot of diffrient settings)
    -pump tunnel looks fine (been reinforced)

The ski does not pull like it should and takes a LONG time to get to even 66 currently i am running my 800 grate I have not tried my 1200 grate because I dont want to be slower than stock! Ski idles perfect and runs great just not fast? Should I pull the free flow? Im lost of what to look at next! Im ready to sink this dumb thing! my friend 04 with the same mods (less reeds and heads) pulls on me everywhere. Any ideas guys?

+1
    what about the pump shoe have you checked it?. when i couldn't get over 69.7 i went trough everything and found out my pump shoe was hangin down.
    also the 800 grate is never going to pull out of the hole like the 1200.

+1
    check your pump shoe. a week or so ago i lost almost 6mph on my top end (64 from almost 70). knew nothing else was wrong with the ski and that i had a history with my pump shoe inserts coming out. checked it out on the lift and it "looked" okay. took it apart and my inserts had ripped through the hull. got it fixed and the shoe back on..sitting MAYBE 1/8th of inch higher in the hull (like i said hardly noticeable) and my speed instantly came back with the ski feeling much more resposive.

i doubt your inserts are the problem since your ski has brackets, but check your pump shoe regardless. if you have PPK make sure it is flush (i had to use a dremel to grind mine flat with the shoe).

+1
    Also check that efi(rpm setting..last one) i think it's too high. But you might never now it could be right.

+1
    If your rpms start out at 7200 and then drop off you are not getting enough fuel on the top.

Also, if your cross over is at nine your motor is having to wait untill 6000 rpms to get to high speed circuit. And then there is no extra fuel there.

Work your crossover down and your top up. Tune it next to your buddy who is pulling you to see the difference.

I have porting and a bigger prop, but with your set up I ran 6/9/5/7.

When you feel it hitting harder and going faster dial in the last two one at a time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrager
    If your rpms start out at 7200 and then drop off you are not getting enough fuel on the top.

Also, if your cross over is at nine your motor is having to wait untill 6000 rpms to get to high speed circuit. And then there is no extra fuel there.

Work your crossover down and your top up. Tune it next to your buddy who is pulling you to see the difference.

I have porting and a bigger prop, but with your set up I ran 6/9/5/7.

When you feel it hitting harder and going faster dial in the last two one at a time.

Very good info Mark
    It's is very good if you have a buddy to compare between settings.

+1
    pump shoe looks fine?? I think, anyone have an exact measurment that the pump should be ressesed above the hull? how hard is it to pull off after using the 4200 fast cure? I dont want to break the shoe in the midle of our short summer! I have tried so many diffrient efi setting with little to no affect on my rpms my rpms do NOT drop at wide oppen trottle they actually slowly creep up. thanks for all the help guys also I did NOT remove the piece of felt when i did the PPK is that ok? or could that cause the shoe to shit to low in the rear?

+1
    iam on my 3rd pump shoe i think my R&D reenforcement is causing the problem but iam at .58-.59 in front and .39-.40 in rear pump shoes suck. i took a screwdriver and pryed on rear and used a utility knife to break the seal. wire wheeled the rest do a dry testfit first before you re 4200 or 5200

Just want to ride.
    +1
    R33 - I have a couple of thoughts for you - take them for just that -

What conditions do you get to ride in? We're using the same water, and I can't ever find good top speed areas to run in - Lake WA is always choppy when I ride on the weekends; are you getting a chance to ride in good water? Reason I ask is this - my brother rides my wife's 03 that's the same as mine, minus the Ride Plate and Trim Tabs, and if it's choppy he kicks my ass all over the lake. I can't hook up, takes forever to accelerate, etc, kinda like you describe. He also outweighs me by 75lbs. So, I change back to my stock plate (with tabs), and I'm back on top again. Ski pulls harder, due to better overall hookup in the chop - I added the 05 pump combo with the non-setback impeller, and I'm even better hooked (which you already have).

Just wondered if you might have better luck in our conditions with the stock plate?

Sean

+1
    from what i have been told the stock plate is best for chop i just bought one and have yet to try it. my jplate ran 76.8 before tunning in 5-6in chop felt pretty good

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information