Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Liquid inside the fuel pump....951

Inside the fuel pump diaphram I found a very milky liquid. Looks just like a light chocolate milk. I understand this is normally oil/fuel and water mixing. I did just rebuild the carbs and doubt its leaking through the gasket. I did also put the pulse line into a cup and crank over and it spit out the same color liquid we found inside the pump. It did stop spitting this out after just a few seconds of cranking. I am leaning towards this is my tuning problem as before I found dirty looking fuel inside the diaphram but then I rebuilt them and this is the first time they've been back apart.

We pulled fuel right out of the line feeding the carbs, all clean. We checked the first fuel filter and all clean fuel. No leaks in the system from a pressure check. No water mixed in the oil tank from anything we can see.

I have cleaned it out and I am thinking this is why it runs good for a day or two then back to its problem found in my other thread (951 tuning).

Today, I leak tested the cooling system of the motor and it held 5lbs of pressure for about 45mins. Well within check.

Is there anything else I can check or figure out why I have milky crap in the motor?

+1
    Have you sunk this engine recently or had water ingestion down through the crankcases as the milky liquid was probably left over water/oil /fuel mix sitting inside the bottom of the cases. have you checked the in line fuel filter for water sitting at the bottom.As water is heavier than fuel.

No the ski/motor has never been sunk or had a ton of water in the hull to enter through the carbs.

We did pull some fuel right out of the lines and out of the strainer and saw no water at all. I have sucked the fuel out a few times to a dry as I could get tank, put some water dispersent in and refilled with fresh fuel and same result. The fuel that was sucked out ran perfect in my other ski.

I have found liquid inside the pump before, and rebuilt them with all new Mikuni gasket's. This time we just found milky crap. My pop off is at 23 and 24, or 22 and 23. I can't remember now. And they re-seat at 18 and 19. They also did not leak at 20lbs. I don't know how this was getting into the base besides a leak internally I'm thinking.

Sounds like condensation in the cases though. Are you sure it didn't take on water?

The previous owner might have. It will stay and is a good way to tell if its had water in the crankcase

The motor has been completely rebuilt since the previous owner. Got it 10/31 last year, motor was built over the winter and installed fresh. Condensation wouldn't spit water out the pulse line. It would evaporate once the motor is hot.

+1
    [quote=jwick86;1145760]Inside the fuel pump diaphram I found a very milky liquid. Looks just like a light chocolate milk. I understand this is normally oil/fuel and water mixing.quote]

Is the diaphragm clear or is it black with a stainless steel round flat section with 5 holes ???

Are you talking about the #18 on the attachment ???

Im just trying to confirm that we are talking about the same thing. If so this isnt the fuel pump diaphragm.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Surf, I'm talking about the clear diaphram, number 2 under the pulse cover. Not the pop off diaphram. I know there's suppose to be fuel in there, and inside that was pure clean fuel. No milky junk.

Bill Oneil told me that if the ski turns pipe side up and rolls over it will dump water into the motor. This happened but never went all the way over, 90 degrees counter clockwise and put the pipe in the air. I am assuming this put the water into the case. He said it could also take some time to get it all out.

I can't understand how water is going to just sit in the bottom of a crankcase of a motor turning 7k rpm for any length of time. Seems to me it would blow out in a matter of minutes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jwick86 View Post
    . This happened but never went all the way over, 90 degrees counter clockwise and put the pipe in the air. I am assuming this put the water into the case. He said it could also take some time to get it all out.
    I asked you that in post #2 and you said "
    No the ski/motor has never been sunk or had a ton of water in the hull to enter through the carbs"

So water has obviously got down into the cases and left their and mixed with fuel and oil and then forced down the pulse line to the fuel pump and hence the milky substance.
    If you ever get water down into these engines you need to run it for a good hour without any hesitation as the heat and air turbulance dries out the bearings . You probably didnt run it long enough before.
    You might have done some damage to the crank bearings already with this milky substance down their. Can turn into a disaster real quick with the worst being a damaged rod through the cases and then a full rebuild to follow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information