04 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO Spark Plugs

I have just purchased a 04 FX Cruiser w/ 100 hours on it. It bogged down a couple of times today and I called the original owner and he said the plugs were changed at the dealer in 07 and less than 50 hours have been put on it since. I decided to go ahead an change plugs and after taking the top off I see a light coat of oil on everything on the fuel side not the side the plugs are on. Is this normal or is something wrong? Should I send this thing do the dealer to have them check it over or just go ahead and change the plugs and see if that takes care of the problem? Thanks, Mike

+1
    It is common maintaince to spray the engine compartment with silicon spray after every use. This stuff is slippery and could look like motor oil. Could it be that?

I would just change the plugs and go back out.

is the oil IN the air filter element?

I changed plugs today. The oil is not in the air filter and it is running 95% better. Thanks very much for the replies. The only thing I see now is that when I punch it from idle it seems to cavitate. 10k RPM and it is sluggish getting onto plane. Could the propeller be scraped up or out of line? I had it 53 today in smooth water. It Just takes a little to get there. I don't know if this is top speed or not or if it is normal for it to act like this. It just seems like it is slipping when you take off. Thanks, Mike

Check the pump i just bought a 04 fxho and the pump liner was puffed up in some areas and was hitting the prop and ruined it. Replaced it with the stainless pump housing and new 14/20 solas. No mods bone stock 63.1 gps.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK PEARL View Post
    Check the pump i just bought a 04 fxho and the pump liner was puffed up in some areas and was hitting the prop and ruined it. Replaced it with the stainless pump housing and new 14/20 solas. No mods bone stock 63.1 gps.

Thanks, are the pump housing and solas easy to change and do I purchase them from the dealer?

The housing looks fine. The impellar looks like it was in sand more than water. I will order a Solas impellar. Again, thanks. Mike

my .02cents while your in the pump change the wear ring section. would hate to eat a new prop because you kept the oem liner. Being cheap only keeps you off the water or stranded.

Quote Originally Posted by milcouch View Post
    I changed plugs today. The oil is not in the air filter and it is running 95% better. Thanks very much for the replies. The only thing I see now is that when I punch it from idle it seems to cavitate. 10k RPM and it is sluggish getting onto plane. Could the propeller be scraped up or out of line? I had it 53 today in smooth water. It Just takes a little to get there. I don't know if this is top speed or not or if it is normal for it to act like this. It just seems like it is slipping when you take off. Thanks, Mike

My 04 FXHO had the same cavitation problem and I replace the impeller and housing only to find out the cavitation came from a missing piece of felt at the front of the ride plate. The very small piece of missing felt causes an intake leak to the pump and I had similar symptoms to what you are describing. Look close.

Thread Information