Thread: Coolant in oil

Coolant in oil

Okay, for my next trick . . .

Seriously, MAN these MSX 150s are tough to keep up the maintenance. But I sure love the speed.

My immediate problem is that I seem to have coolant in my oil. I've always run only polaris oil listed for the 150. I was changing the oil yesterday when I noticed that the oil pumping into my catch basin was light and opaque. Kind of looked like chocolate milk, but was a little more honey colored. I was changing it because it was a little overfilled, and I wanted to correct this before I installed my new MAP sensors. I followed all the instructions and when the oil stopped coming out of the noted oil drain hose in my basin, I changed the oil filter and put in two quarts of oil. After running for five minutes I checked the oil: it had become that same light honey-colored consistency in five minutes.

Not sure how to proceede. I checked every hose, both oil and coolant (closed and saltwater), but I can't determine where the coolant is coming from.

All this on top of the fact that the engine is purring like a kitten with no hesitation or malfunction of any kind. I can't give it full throttle yet because I'm waiting on a new wear ring to arrive, and th eold one is making a slight bit of noise, but otherwise it's running like it used to. Which is great, if I didn't make that clear.

Any suggestions? Steps?

You got coolant in my oil! No, you got oil in my coolant!

One other thought . . . (Kinda makes me feel like
    lieutenant Columbo, anyone remember him?) . . .
    By the way, is there an oil drain plug? Or can ALL the oil only be removed by "pumping" it out with the engine?

I was thinking that maybe there was more old coolant in the oil that I simply hadn't removed, but, if so, how do you reomve it other than whay I did?

I'm not speaking of the oil resevoir here. I used an external sump to remove all the oil in the resevoir tank before pumping any out with the engine, as it is listed in the manual.

Thanks again,

Montreal, Canada
    Are you loosing closed circuit coolant or does the coolant level stay the same in the expansion reservoir?

Coolant it oil

Sorry for not giving that piece of information. I meant to, and then got side tracked . . . a not-uncommon occurance for me. Yes, I am losing closed circuit coolant.

I tripple checked my hoses again today, using the manual and its various illustrations as a guide, and I've had no problem with this in the past.

Just FYI to let you know the ski'd history: I had to pull the engine a few months ago to replace the exhaust pipe, which my son had cracked bu stepping on it when the seat was off one day. You and a few other greenhulkers helped me overcome a few problem along the way, and as I said, the ski is running great. The engine wasn't dissassembled or anything like that. I just lifted it off the motor mounts so I could turn it on its side to remove the Turbo/Exahust Manifold/Exhaust Pipe, replaced the pipe, then put everything back. It was running great before and after I replaced the pipe. The pipe's crack sprayed water through it.

Could I be interpreting my hoses in correctly? I'm just not certain where to begin troubleshooting.

coolant in oil

Thanks, all:

Thread closed. Culprit was pinch oil cooler hose.

Thread Information