+1

Exclamation Unsolvable Coolant Leak Mystery -->Solution

I have been chasing a Coolant leak mystery for over a year. I have replaced many items and have seemed to run out of items to replace. If anyone has run into anything that hasn’t been gone over, please chime in….. This boat has run like an animal but seems to digest/barf coolant. Some already know my setup but… for those who don’t know it’s a stage 3 (rude) setup.
    > Initially it had a apparent head gasket leak --> The head gasket was changed and it once again held its coolant.
    > So many hours after it started losing more coolant again. The head was pulled and the head was found to be cracked --> Replaced the head and the needed associated parts and it was back on the water.
    > About 10-15 hours later, it progressively started to leak more and more Coolant --> Thinking that the block needed to be surfaced, it was torn down one more time and the Head and Block was resurfaced.
    > It was taken out and it seemed to hold fine but on the way in lost coolant through the over flow tube.
    > Other items that have been addressed so far and have been checked out ok are:
    The block coolant ports appeared free of any blockage. The Engine has been torn down enough to change the bearings at that time.
    The coolant was bled through well enough to get any air out.
    The water pump was functioning properly.
    The ride plate was not leaking.
    The Coolant tank cap checked out ok and was replaced along with the tank prior anyway.
    The RR Thermostat was replaced with a stock for testing purposes.

So right now, the only thing that I can think of that hasn’t been replaced is the block. Before throwing more money at it, I wanted to post this out here for anyone else’s input. Can anyone think of what part of the block would be suspect or experienced a similar issue? OR know of anything that’s worth addressing?
    The coolant was known for getting blown out by the head gasket leak. Now the both surfaces have surfaced…What the heck is left??????
    Can anyone think of how coolant flow can be impeded during heavy loads so that it would cause it to blow it’s coolant without an engine Overheat sensor to go off…. that hasn’t been addressed???

Someone throw me a Clue!

+1
    Boy, you have been through alot! So the motor is ingesting the coolant, it's not ending up in the hull?
    OBJ
    Last edited by outboard john; 07-22-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    I can't say I have been doing all of the work.

It almost seems that it could have been doing both. On different occasions or simultaneously, I can't say??

i had a clogged intercooler that kept doing the same thing with my c-kit went to a new one and did ok

on the way in lost coolant through the over flow tube
    This should be a clue. Either the system is under too much coolant pressure or the relief cap is bad.

If the engine is not overheating the excess pressure is likely comming from the combustion chamber rather than being a function of excess temp.

Could the water pump capacity be low and seconday head gasket leaks etc due to marginal long term high coolant temperatures be warping shit ?Maybe you could run a lower level in the coolant expansion tank or test the system with the cap loosened a tiny bit when venting occurs.

I'd also make sure the coolant level is not increasing in the expansion tank which is extremely unlikely due to the closed loop nature. The intercooler thing seems plausable depending on if it runs parallel or in series.

RT

+1
    When I was experiencing a loss of coolant issue it was obvious that it was from the coolant expansion bottle overflow tube. Drove me nuts untill someone on the site mentioned that the oil cooler coolant hoses could be reversed. Na, no way, I could'nt be that stupid,,,,,,,could I? Oh ya, I could. The hoses looked perfect to me, even after studying the diagram, but the closer that I looked, well maybe...........,flipped em, and took care of my problem Troy, you've been through so much, your issue is probably something bizzare. It would be nice though if it was something as simple as flipping your oil cooler coolant hoses. Good luck.

OBJ

+1
    just changed my modified ride plate back to stock and no more coolant leak

+1
    i am having the same problem with my p-x after installing a pump extension and the blower upgrade, i empty the coolant bottle out of the overflow after about 3 minutes of hard riding. dont know if its a head gasket of ski is overheating, any suggestions

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEYD0730 View Post
    i am having the same problem with my p-x after installing a pump extension and the blower upgrade, i empty the coolant bottle out of the overflow after about 3 minutes of hard riding. dont know if its a head gasket of ski is overheating, any suggestions
    Headgasket more than likely in your case.

+1
    on stage 2+, 3 and X models with any upgrade it is a very good idea to run a low temp thermostat, that deff helps out with cooling issues.

Thread Information