2001 virage tx just died

had just finished replacing the starter cylinoid on my tx and ran great for about an hour of stop and start driving . took a run down to far end of lake at about 45 mph , and my machine just died!! no sputing , just like someone pulled the lanyard !! turns over great ( new battery ) but won't fire ???

thinking of fuel problems ??? to tired tonite , but i want to pull flame arrester , and give some fuel to carbs . or should i be thinking electrical ???
    i also noticed earlyer that when the lanyard was pulled that my machine would run till i just barely touched the button that the lanyard was attached to , thinking it was just sticky !! or could this have something to do with my current problem ??

any help would be appreciated !! i have service manual !!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    It sounds like the stop button and/or lanyard switch has a problem.

If the engine did not stop instantly every time the lanyard was pulled, the switch may have become mechanically sticky, or has corrosion inside, or the wiring has problems.

Now the engine won't start. If the CDI thinks the lanyard is not in place, then you will not have spark.

The Black/Yellow wire is grounded by the stop switches to kill the ignition and stop the engine.

I would probably first check the Black/Yellow wires in the electrical box. If that looks good, I suggest you pull apart the switches, and look for any signs of shorts, loose or corroded connections, or even corrosion inside the switch.

If you unplug the Black/Yellow wire from the CDI inside the electrical box, and the engine has spark, then the problem is in the wiring or switches.

ok , sounds logical , but i was driving at the time when it just died . but i will check it out . thanks!!

so i replace battery , after old one was bench tested , and it was dead !! come home put in new battery , and it turns over no problem . i decided to take off spark arrestor , and give each carb a shot of fuel and it fired right up . i let it run 10 seconds and shut it off . wait 2 minutes , and it fires up again . i hit throttle , and no problem ???? did i maybe get a conection wet ????

still have the issue of my lanyard not killing the motor when yanked , but if i touch the botton ever so slightly it dies , so maybe it is not making a full connection when pulled ???

thanks for the help all !!

Thread Information