LB2CAT 2009 National PWC Offshore Championship

Interview after the LB2CAT

Name: Dave "Looter" Hardenburger
Race Boat Make/#: Yamaha VXHO 226
Class: Sportsman Open

Time for the race: 81m 11s

Placing for your First Race: 4th in class, 19th overall

Looter Pro's on Deck @ the LB2CAT 2009!

Why did you choose the class you raced in and what does it mean to you?
I chose the Sportsman class because it was my first offshore race, as well as my first time racing a runabout. I felt that the class would allow me to get my feet wet, literally and metaphorically, racing Offshore.
What a blast!

Your position as best you could determine on the start?
Second to last...only one other boat hanging out with me in the back as we left the harbor.

What did you do the day before, any preparation?
I rode to Catalina at about 1:30 in the afternoon. Which, thinking back on it now, wasn't a great idea!

What were you thinking of the night before?
I shouldn't have ridden to Catalina today! I was also really stoked to try it out. I didn't know what to expect so I was anxious.

Why did you choose the boat you raced?
The fine folks at KMG Racing (David and Dawn Fekete) sponsored me for the weekend with the boat. To be honest, I wouldn't have had any idea which boat was good for the race. But the Yamaha VXHO took good care of me. It wasn't too crazy fast so I could get a good rhythm and have a safe race. I had an average moving speed of 50 and a
max of 57.9 so I was happy with that.

What time did you wake up?
0515... I had to go to the second rider's meeting
since David and I were still coming back from Catalina in pretty heavy seas during the main rider's meeting.

2 Hours out of the race, what were you doing?
Having some breakfast, stretching and squeezing my babykid's cheeks!

1 Hour out of the race what were you doing?
Double checking the equipment and talking to the other racers about the fun we're going to have.

What was your first thought when you picked your position in the lineup for the start? What were you looking for?
Not a thing... I didn't know what to expect so I just lined up and was ready to charge it!

As the start went off, and you passed the Queens Gate (harbor mouth) What was going through your mind?
I'm a bit under powered!

How was the first 10 miles of the race for you?
Great... I was in a good rhythm and I felt good. I was just waiting for the turbo to kick in.

When you came to the turnaround boat, how were you feeling? How was your boat doing in those conditions?
I felt good and the boat was charging like the little boat that could! I was super stoked as I came to the boat because I saw a group of racers coming from way off on the right... they went wide and I passed about 6 or 7 riders at the boat. That gave me the boost that I needed and then I started reeling people in one at a time.

Half Way back did you hit a psychological or physical wall? How did you overcome it?
No way... I felt better coming back than I did going.
Everything was clicking and I was passing people. For a closed course guy, that is super important. That really got me stoked...

Any mechanicals failures?
None... the KMG Racing Yamaha VXHO was a champ!

Did you have any 'Battles' during the race with other competitors you especially enjoyed?
I did... at the very end coming towards the Queens Gate, I picked off two final riders and I saw a Sea Doo hot on my heals. His boat was way faster and as we got into the calm water he was gaining fast. Luckily, I was able to hold my lead and make it to the Checkers!

I have to thank David and Dawn Fekete of KMG Racing for their
support for the weekend because without their awesome machine, I would be hanging out on the beach.

I also have to thank my lovely wife, Andrea and my little angel Hannah Bear for all of the support.

And special thanks to the whole Looter Pro/KMG Racing Team for the fun times and all of the practice sessions!

Special thanks to Vey's Powersports, Skat-Trak, DSO Eyewear, FE Trailers, Pit Pets, KMG Racing, Faded Energy Drinks, Bomber, DK Performance, SkiRodder, RPM Racing and Hydroturf.

Support those that support our sport!

What advice would you give to recruit other racers to this event?
I'm not sure... but my goal is to bring 10 people next year...

This is my final year of closed course competition... Looter Pro is going Offshore!