Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Stupid stage 2 piece of @#%$*%&#$%

I have had it!
    I have two issues which have plagued me all summer! Any help would be appreciated.
    1- My ski keeps over heating.
    2- My speeds are very slow for the riva 2 rxp.

The story: Installed full stage 2, plus filled ride plate holes, euro block offs, boost guage, venturi rings, 3 bearing pump, ....
    Best speed 73. I forget. Running 8050-8100 rpms and boost is between 6 and 7lbs. Ski overheats constantly. Thought it was a bad sensor (6 different times), then found a piece of my waterbox had come off and was blocking the pipe. So I removed the debrie and tried again. But I still have hi-temps at WOT. So I opened the yellow water restrictor up and caped the rear cooling line to increase flow, yet it still over heats at WOT!!!
    Did the waterbox cause the overheating? or did the overheating break the waterbox?
    I have reverse flushed, properly cleaned my intercooler, checked for proper water flow, put on Buds for codes (nothing found).
    To make things worse I ran today and only ran 70.6mph and overheat twice. Yes it was hot out but my friend with stage 1 ran 70.2 so explain that?
    HELP
    Last edited by idizzy; 08-02-2006 at 10:48 PM.

+1
    Have you flushed the IC? It could have debris in it and causeing less water flow to the exhaust and waterbox. Hints high temps.

Oh and your boost is low. I run 7.6 with a RRIC. you should be at 8.0 with the Riva IC.

+1
    I have a pretty good idea of what your problem is. Check carefully where the J pipe enters the waterbox. Make sure the J pipe is pushed all the way down into the coupler and ensure the hose clamp isnt too low. There are 3 "pee" holes in the J pipe and if you clamp below those holes, or on those holes you will restrict water flow to the waterbox causing overheat issues and you will burn your baffle out.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    curiousity...when ur ski "overheats" .... what message, code, alarm, or what is displayed?

Yes I have flushed the IC.
    No code is displayed just hi-temp and then when I push set 5 times it says end.
    Jerry- That may explain the burned out box, but can it explain the speed lose?
    Thanks

Also, see thread:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...2312#post72312

I had a lot of seagrass that ended up down in the IC that you could not see.

Try this test
    Take a piece of 3/4 " hose and place it on the IC and blow into it. If you feel a resistance of air...then your IC is still blocked up.

I ended up putting a Groco 750 Hi-flow strainer on my ski after 6 hours of working on this Hi- Temp issue ( and mostly cleaning out the IC) and it has never happened since.

Listen, I dont suggest this for anyone..and dont say I didnt warn you....but these Riva intercoolers are aluminum..So watch what you place into them to clean them and make sure its aluminum safe. I suspect there is aluminum radiator cleaners out there that could help..but I dont know of any.

But if your dead set on something that WILL clean it....then I have heard that Sno-Bowl toilet cleaner will do it. Remember, it highly corrosive to aluminum and can cause pitting so dont let it set very long in the IC.

It will foam out of the IC as its reacting to the aluminum...make sure to take the brass fillings off the IC. Then flush it out throughly...

Good Luck
    Last edited by FullThrottle; 08-02-2006 at 11:12 PM.

Hook up your craft to water (Garden hose) while flushing the craft look at the pump to see if there's a leak between the pump and the shoe (Where pump meets hull) my rxt leaked fom there for almost a year before I found it, it had H-Temp issues when I rode in the chop

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    if u notice.... i'd say damn near 99% of the problems are with salt-water riders.

when i had my hands on a Riva intercooler, you would not believe the amount of greyish corrosion and particles and just salty yucky mess that came out of the core....

so my next question is... Mike... do you religiously flush your ski with fresh water after each and every single ride?

and actionr32 brings up a good point... had another buddy give me a call today coinsidentally sayin Shibbs, get this... was flushing the ski and i see water spraying from between the pump... removed the pump and found that the yellow restrictor washer wasn't sealing properly and water pressure was being lost obviously.

I changed the yellow restrictor, it was trashed, bored it out one size larger and havent had a h-temp since, I agree Shib's salt water riders need to fresh water flush after each use

When you have your IC out try blowing air through it and let us know if there is any restriction with just blowing air. I have been fighting Hi-temps all summer and have got IC flushing down to a science. Basically you should be able to "breathe" through the IC with little or no effort. If you can't do that you have a problem. I soaked and flushed with radiator flush and carb cleaner for 2 days with little improvement.

I've been clogging with grass real bad and finally got a strainer but still need to install. If you want help getting some of this stuff let me know but first do the blowing air test on the IC. Let us know how much restriction there is then we can tell you if thats where your problem lies.
    Last edited by Gforce; 08-04-2006 at 06:51 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information