msx 150 engine locked up?

I am working on a msx 150 now that had a engine knock but did run. Now if you try to start it you just hear a click. I dont know if the motor is locked up or not. Can you get the starter out of these things with the motor still in? Also if I do end up pulling the motor is it possiable to just change out the crank and rod bearings from the bottom side of the motor and not mess with anything eles?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by burton9010 View Post
    I am working on a msx 150 now that had a engine knock but did run. Now if you try to start it you just hear a click. I dont know if the motor is locked up or not. Can you get the starter out of these things with the motor still in? Also if I do end up pulling the motor is it possiable to just change out the crank and rod bearings from the bottom side of the motor and not mess with anything eles?
    You need to remove the ETB and intake manifold to gain access to the starter. Once done, it is easy to remove the starter. I would suggest you try to turn the driveshaft first -- you'll then see if the engine is locked.

The engine needs to be taken apart completely to either change the crank or bearings.

Desperado is correct as usual

I had this problem as well, and Desperado is right, check to see is the impeller/drive shaft turns. I pulled the engine on an MSX150, and after putting it back, it would produce only a clank, and not turn at all. After making certain that the battery was fully charged and working properly, I discovered that the impeller had "grown" to the wear ring (some folks say it the other way around: that the wear ring grew into the impeller, which is probably more accurate), locking the drive shaft solidly. This happened even though nothing at all had been wrong with the pump when I pulled the engine. The problem with the pump/drive shaft/impeller aside, when I pulled the pump back to make certain the couplers clear, the engine turned just fine.

The pump is something else entirely. After removing and dissassembling the pump, I am now waiting for the pump rebuild kit, impeller tool, and a new stainless steel wear ring/pump extension. The diagnoses was straight forward, but just took a lot of time to get there.

Good luck.

FLN

the jet pump is off the ski now. Can I pull the driveshaft back so it pops out of the engine coupler and then try to crank it over? How strong are these starters? Would it be a good idea to get the driveshaft holder tool and try to wrench on the driveshaft with a big wrench to see if I could get the motor to turn that way?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by burton9010 View Post
    the jet pump is off the ski now.

Can I pull the driveshaft back so it pops out of the engine coupler and then try to crank it over? How strong are these starters?

Would it be a good idea to get the driveshaft holder tool and try to wrench on the driveshaft with a big wrench to see if I could get the motor to turn that way?
    With the jet pump out, can you turn the impeller easily by hand?

You should be able to remove the cover over the drive shaft coupler, and hand turn the coupler.

If it won't turn by hand, you can wrap a Vice-grip chain wrench around the coupler, and see if it will budge.

Pirate33 used this to loosen his coupler.

The bearing were bad in the jet pump so I was hoping that might be what was making a knocking noise (I have not herd it yet) but now the engine will not even turn over.

Engine won't turn over

If you've got the pump out, then just pull on the driveshaft to separate the couplers. Once they clear one another, try the engine again, making certain that your battery is charged before you do. Obviously, if it turns over, the pump is seized for whatever reason. The starters are strong in the 150, but even a pump that is only slightly seized is much, much stronger. I found out through experience that it doesn't take much to keep the engine from turning.

Order a kit and rebuild the pump. I ordered mine from www.sbtontheweb.com it was about $60.

Good luck.
    FLN

Thread Information