DAVID FEKETE 3rd Ranked Nationally Challenged PWC Athlete
LB2CAT 2009 National PWC Offshore Championships July 12th, 2009
POST Race Interview

This is the first time in the history of PWC racing a Challenged Athlete Division has been in place. David Fekete respectively earned a national rank of 3rd place in this category at the LB2CAT

David Fekete
Age 40
Race Boat Make/# Yamaha FXHO #141
Class Challenged Athlete

Placing for the Race Third In Class

Why did you choose the class you raced in and what does it mean to you?
Several years ago I had a severe motorcycle accident that caused permanent damage to my left foot and ankle taking away all movement in the joints. After talking to some of my team members, it seemed like a good class for me to compete in. I've been racing different stuff my whole life but this class is one of the most special I've been blessed to be a part of.

Your position as best you could determine on the start?
I felt like I had a great start, but that faded quickly....man, those supercharged boats are fast!!!

What did you do the day before, any preparation?
Since we had never gone to Catalina before, nor used the GPS units in open water, we decided to do a training run around 1pm. Not the best idea I've ever had. Then after dinner, Looter and I watched the 2008 LBC2CAT video to see what we got ourselves into.

What were you thinking of the night before?
Why did I ride to Catalina today?

Why did you choose the boat you raced?
I own it and it didn't have plans that weekend...lol...but seriously, the Yamaha's are great boats

What time did you wake up!
5am...since I had the great idea of riding to Catalina on Saturday, we missed the riders meeting and had to be on the dock early.

2 Hours out of the race, what were you doing?
Taking inventory on my aches and pains from the day before and wondering why I signed up for this crazy thing.

1 Hour out of the race what were you doing?
I was pretending to check the boats and gear, burning off nervous energy

Ryan Levinson Congratulations Fekete

What was your first thought when you picked your position in the lineup for the start? What were you looking for?
I want to get as far outside to the clean water as possible. Where is the rubber band?

As the start went off, and you passed the Angels Gate (harbor mouth) What was going through your mind?
This rocks....I can do this....then it was....I wish that breakwall was 20 miles further out!

How was the first 10 miles of the race for you?
I was feeling great, smacked a wave and took a shot to my back. Shook it off, got my rhythm back and felt like I was making up some ground on the guys in front of me. I remember thinking...this isn't so bad, then looking down and seeing 23 miles to Avalon. That's when the reality of being in an endurance race set in.

When you came to the turnaround boat, how were you feeling? How was your boat doing in those conditions?
I was feeling a little beat up, but emotionally, it was cool rounding the turn. I'm used to closed course where with each turn buoy you feel closer to your goal. The miles ticking off the GPS weren't the same so rounding the turn boat gave me a little "high". I think I actually gave out a celebratory yell at the guys when I rolled past. My boat outperformed me the entire way.

Half Way back did you hit a psychological or physical wall? How did you overcome it?
My back was completely shot. Did I say? riding the day before is not a good idea! I sung a little song in my head to keep myself distracted.

Any mechanicals failures?
Not a one. The Looter Pro/KMG Racing boats ran flawlessly.

Did you have any 'Battles' during the race with other competitors you especially enjoyed?
About 3 miles out, a yellow sea doo that I passed on the way out, caught back up to me. I shut the back pain out and it was on! In the waves, I was able to hold him off and started to pull him, then we entered the harbor mouth to the finish and once on flat water, he smoked me.

I thank God for giving me the ability to still do what I love to do and my wife for the support she gives me.

I also want to thank the whole So Cal Offshore crew for making us feel welcome.

Make sure to support these cool companies...they support us:

KMG www.kmg-online.com
PITPETS www.pitpets.com
BOMBER EYEWEAR www.bombereyewear.com
FADE ENERGY DRINKS www.fadedenergy.com
MYSTIK LUBES www.mystiklubes.com
LOOTER PRODUCTIONS www.looterproductions.com
721 Photos www.721photos.com

What advice would you give to recruit other racers to this event?
Just get out there and do it! This is a very competitive race, but it's all fun and everyone is incredibly helpful. It's only as competitive as you want it to be.

I love riding my stand up, but this sitting down thing doesn't suck! Can't wait to the race!

Ryan Levinson 2nd, Warren Frank 1st, David Fekete 3rd