Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Intake Pump Sealing

I am going to install my R & D Seal Kit soon and am researching what all I am supposed to do but I am having trouble finding the info.

I see the Seal Kit pieces go inside the intake grate holes like a puzzle and it's better to coat them with some silicone but what about the intake grate itself? I see a lot of general coments about 4200 and 5200 but can't see exactly where this is being used and what exactly needs to be done.

And what about the Pump Shoe?

I used the search tool but couldn't find what I was looking for . Thought I saw something on here once...

All this for the FZS.

Thanks in advance for the help.

some pics would be nice of peoples sealed grates

X-Closed Course Racer xracer128's Avatar

Thumbs up

This is what I found on Riva's website...I'm getting ready to order and install a grate myself!

http://www.rivamotorsports.com/instructions/ry22050.pdf

http://www.rivamotorsports.com/instructions/ry25050.pdf

Hope this helps...

Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1
    I should have taken pictures, but I've been busy getting ready for my trip, but here's what I did for my Riva intake grate install:

Remove Stock Intake Grate, 2 10mm bolts and 4 12mm bolts.

Clean hull surface and bolt holes to remove dirt, old sealant etc. I use Mineral spirits and it works well. Also I cleaned/wiped down the new Intake Grate with cleaner to make sure its ready to go.

Take the Pump Seal kit pieces, 12 total. 10 go into the Intake grate itself and 2 go into the pump to seal it. I used 5200 fast cure on each of the 10 pieces and put a coating around the inside of each piece. Put each piece into the corresponding hole and wipe the excess sealant away.

Take the 2 pump seal pieces, apply 5200 to the back of each and put each piece into the holes on the inside of the pump (below the shaft/impeller).

Once the pieces are set in the intake grate, apply 4200 to the top layer of the grate, around the top surface of the "flat" areas around the 4 12mm bolt holes and then on the flat surface where the 10mm bolt holes are.

Apply 242/blue loctite to the 6 bolts and place the new Grate into the tunnel and tighten down the bolts. Wipe away any excess sealant and you should be good to go. Very easy.

JP

+1
    I use the Right Stuff to seal it. You can buy it at Pep Boys. Works quick.

Great info guys, thanks!!!! I will be getting my grate next week..
    I just ordered Rivas new FZR seat cover. Can't wait to see how that's going to look.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by poof100 View Post
    I should have taken pictures, but I've been busy getting ready for my trip, but here's what I did for my Riva intake grate install:

Remove Stock Intake Grate, 2 10mm bolts and 4 12mm bolts.

Clean hull surface and bolt holes to remove dirt, old sealant etc. I use Mineral spirits and it works well. Also I cleaned/wiped down the new Intake Grate with cleaner to make sure its ready to go.

Take the Pump Seal kit pieces, 12 total. 10 go into the Intake grate itself and 2 go into the pump to seal it. I used 5200 fast cure on each of the 10 pieces and put a coating around the inside of each piece. Put each piece into the corresponding hole and wipe the excess sealant away.

Take the 2 pump seal pieces, apply 5200 to the back of each and put each piece into the holes on the inside of the pump (below the shaft/impeller).

Once the pieces are set in the intake grate, apply 4200 to the top layer of the grate, around the top surface of the "flat" areas around the 4 12mm bolt holes and then on the flat surface where the 10mm bolt holes are.

Apply 242/blue loctite to the 6 bolts and place the new Grate into the tunnel and tighten down the bolts. Wipe away any excess sealant and you should be good to go. Very easy.

JP
    Thanks a lot for the time you spent in the post. That's just what I need--step-by-step instructions. Sounds like I need some fast cure 4200 and 5200.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Thanks a lot for the time you spent in the post. That's just what I need--step-by-step instructions. Sounds like I need some fast cure 4200 and 5200.
    4200 is a lot easier to remove. It will hold up just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKY G View Post
    Great info guys, thanks!!!! I will be getting my grate next week..
    I just ordered Rivas new FZR seat cover. Can't wait to see how that's going to look.
    Youll love the look of your seat cover, i love mine for that. Unfortunately, its not skin friendly. Great when its cooler out and im wearing my wetsuit so all my skin is covered. Girls wont get on it without shorts and ive got a mild rash or something on my inner calfs and thighs. Little dissapointed in that aspect, i guess its designed for race use. Lesson learned, currently seaking new options.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug78 View Post
    Youll love the look of your seat cover, i love mine for that. Unfortunately, its not skin friendly. Great when its cooler out and im wearing my wetsuit so all my skin is covered. Girls wont get on it without shorts and ive got a mild rash or something on my inner calfs and thighs. Little dissapointed in that aspect, i guess its designed for race use. Lesson learned, currently seaking new options.

You know, that's what I was a little worried about. I'm so glad you told me this. Just want to confirm that you have the new Riva FZR seat cover right?
    It's black/blue/silver?

Frank..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information