Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Do i need to rebuild motor ? help !

I just won jsra club championship on my 08 ultra250 all cc races GREAT
    then it died, literally as i crossed the line in the last moto
    previous round i had sucked up crap and had to remove pump to tidy up the prop etc and seemed to be fine after testing ,At the last round was lots of weed on the lake clogged up in first moto and this it what i thought had happened 2 laps from finish in 3rd moto but seemed to clear and as i said then cut out at the finish oil overheat warning came on and would not even crank over . got it home and found prop had came off and trim seal had gone so sorted this (pump shoe a bit nackered tho), changed plugs and fired up before doing oil change it stalled after 5 seconds so fired up again and seems to be idling a bit crap but not terrible .
    So gone to do the oil change as i'm doing this i noticed the drive coupler
    is not snug so checked and there is alot of movement back and forth on the shaft side .I am not sure if there is meant to be this much movement
    on it?
    Any way got on with the oil change, oil had gone very dark but seemed really thin took the filter off and as some oil trickled out so did a load of silvery bits . i remembered seeing this thread http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=98680&page=4
    so i check for crank movement but doesn't seem to be any
    i am wondering if my engine could be nackered due to the prop jamming up
    and why there is movement on the drive coupler on the prop shaft side

I don't want to keep using if it could severly screw the motor up ..
    any thoughts much appreciated ..sorry for the essay

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsta View Post
    I just won jsra club championship on my 08 ultra250 all cc races GREAT
    then it died, literally as i crossed the line in the last moto
    previous round i had sucked up crap and had to remove pump to tidy up the prop etc and seemed to be fine after testing ,At the last round was lots of weed on the lake clogged up in first moto and this it what i thought had happened 2 laps from finish in 3rd moto but seemed to clear and as i said then cut out at the finish oil overheat warning came on and would not even crank over . got it home and found prop had came off and trim seal had gone so sorted this (pump shoe a bit nackered tho), changed plugs and fired up before doing oil change it stalled after 5 seconds so fired up again and seems to be idling a bit crap but not terrible .
    So gone to do the oil change as i'm doing this i noticed the drive coupler
    is not snug so checked and there is alot of movement back and forth on the shaft side .I am not sure if there is meant to be this much movement
    on it?
    Any way got on with the oil change, oil had gone very dark but seemed really thin took the filter off and as some oil trickled out so did a load of silvery bits . i remembered seeing this thread http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=98680&page=4
    so i check for crank movement but doesn't seem to be any
    i am wondering if my engine could be nackered due to the prop jamming up
    and why there is movement on the drive coupler on the prop shaft side

I don't want to keep using if it could severly screw the motor up ..
    any thoughts much appreciated ..sorry for the essay
    Sounds like your beyond the point of repair. Pull the motor and check the crank out. 99.9% sure your fuk'd. Good luck bud

+1
    Grab a screwdriver and see if you can move the crank backwards and forewards, if more than about .5mm pull the donk out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eel View Post
    Grab a screwdriver and see if you can move the crank backwards and forewards, if more than about .5mm pull the donk out.
    just in the middle of doing mine .5mm thrust movement 83hrs never had a pump failure but found the pump drive shaft out of alignment tell tale wear mark on rubber coupler. just removed cylinders and can see the thrust washer in pieces and a slight scuff on the case pulling the crank tomorrow

+1
    Corey... my updated progress on my job is on the other site.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    just in the middle of doing mine .5mm thrust movement 83hrs never had a pump failure but found the pump drive shaft out of alignment tell tale wear mark on rubber coupler. just removed cylinders and can see the thrust washer in pieces and a slight scuff on the case pulling the crank tomorrow

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by eel View Post

there is no play on the crank what i can tell . the motor is gonna have to be pulled tho, there is an unbelievable amount of shards in the oil filter
    just not too sure what has happened until it is opened up

Unhappy

You have done the thrust washers on your crankshaft,,,and your crank maybe toast to.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    there is no play on the crank what i can tell . the motor is gonna have to be pulled tho, there is an unbelievable amount of shards in the oil filter
    just not too sure what has happened until it is opened up
    [/URL]

+1
    yeah i tried this what i found strange is the coupler slid about 10-12mm the other way (towards the pump) is there meant to be this much ??? i am taking my pump out to recheck the shaft and impeller splines are not damaged as it just seems to much movement on the shaft towards the prop.
    As said there doesn't seem to be any movement on the crank side and definatly no clunking like in the clip. Also pulleys SEEM to be still aligned so i don't think it has taken a major shunt forward
    I HOPE

yeah i tried this what i found strange is the coupler slid about 10-12mm the other way (towards the pump) is there meant to be this much ??? i am taking my pump out to recheck the shaft and impeller splines are not damaged as it just seems to much movement on the shaft towards the prop.
    As said there doesn't seem to be any movement on the crank side and definatly no clunking like in the clip. Also pulleys SEEM to be still aligned so i don't think it has taken a major shunt forward
    I HOPE
    Hey dude i have seen this before !!!!!!!
    Your motor is SAD now
    Mine has end float in the pump drive shaft to,,maybe 5 to10mm.
    Those crankshafts dont like been bound up tight from the pump coupler or youre in big trouble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information