Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    hudsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MK United Kingdom
    Posts
    163
    +1
    1

    Do i need to rebuild motor ? help !

    I just won jsra club championship on my 08 ultra250 all cc races GREAT
    then it died, literally as i crossed the line in the last moto
    previous round i had sucked up crap and had to remove pump to tidy up the prop etc and seemed to be fine after testing ,At the last round was lots of weed on the lake clogged up in first moto and this it what i thought had happened 2 laps from finish in 3rd moto but seemed to clear and as i said then cut out at the finish oil overheat warning came on and would not even crank over . got it home and found prop had came off and trim seal had gone so sorted this (pump shoe a bit nackered tho), changed plugs and fired up before doing oil change it stalled after 5 seconds so fired up again and seems to be idling a bit crap but not terrible .
    So gone to do the oil change as i'm doing this i noticed the drive coupler
    is not snug so checked and there is alot of movement back and forth on the shaft side .I am not sure if there is meant to be this much movement
    on it?
    Any way got on with the oil change, oil had gone very dark but seemed really thin took the filter off and as some oil trickled out so did a load of silvery bits . i remembered seeing this thread http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=98680&page=4
    so i check for crank movement but doesn't seem to be any
    i am wondering if my engine could be nackered due to the prop jamming up
    and why there is movement on the drive coupler on the prop shaft side

    I don't want to keep using if it could severly screw the motor up ..
    any thoughts much appreciated ..sorry for the essay


  2. #2
    www.eastcoastpwc.net Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7,992
    +1
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsta View Post
    I just won jsra club championship on my 08 ultra250 all cc races GREAT
    then it died, literally as i crossed the line in the last moto
    previous round i had sucked up crap and had to remove pump to tidy up the prop etc and seemed to be fine after testing ,At the last round was lots of weed on the lake clogged up in first moto and this it what i thought had happened 2 laps from finish in 3rd moto but seemed to clear and as i said then cut out at the finish oil overheat warning came on and would not even crank over . got it home and found prop had came off and trim seal had gone so sorted this (pump shoe a bit nackered tho), changed plugs and fired up before doing oil change it stalled after 5 seconds so fired up again and seems to be idling a bit crap but not terrible .
    So gone to do the oil change as i'm doing this i noticed the drive coupler
    is not snug so checked and there is alot of movement back and forth on the shaft side .I am not sure if there is meant to be this much movement
    on it?
    Any way got on with the oil change, oil had gone very dark but seemed really thin took the filter off and as some oil trickled out so did a load of silvery bits . i remembered seeing this thread http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=98680&page=4
    so i check for crank movement but doesn't seem to be any
    i am wondering if my engine could be nackered due to the prop jamming up
    and why there is movement on the drive coupler on the prop shaft side

    I don't want to keep using if it could severly screw the motor up ..
    any thoughts much appreciated ..sorry for the essay
    Sounds like your beyond the point of repair. Pull the motor and check the crank out. 99.9% sure your fuk'd. Good luck bud

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    down under
    Posts
    645
    +1
    15
    Grab a screwdriver and see if you can move the crank backwards and forewards, if more than about .5mm pull the donk out.

  4. #4
    nicjak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Warragul, Downunder
    Posts
    7,794
    +1
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by eel View Post
    Grab a screwdriver and see if you can move the crank backwards and forewards, if more than about .5mm pull the donk out.
    just in the middle of doing mine .5mm thrust movement 83hrs never had a pump failure but found the pump drive shaft out of alignment tell tale wear mark on rubber coupler. just removed cylinders and can see the thrust washer in pieces and a slight scuff on the case pulling the crank tomorrow

  5. #5
    ksalles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Slidell, La.
    Posts
    1,786
    +1
    304
    Corey... my updated progress on my job is on the other site.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    just in the middle of doing mine .5mm thrust movement 83hrs never had a pump failure but found the pump drive shaft out of alignment tell tale wear mark on rubber coupler. just removed cylinders and can see the thrust washer in pieces and a slight scuff on the case pulling the crank tomorrow

  6. #6
    hudsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MK United Kingdom
    Posts
    163
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by eel View Post
    Grab a screwdriver and see if you can move the crank backwards and forewards, if more than about .5mm pull the donk out.


    there is no play on the crank what i can tell . the motor is gonna have to be pulled tho, there is an unbelievable amount of shards in the oil filter
    just not too sure what has happened until it is opened up

  7. #7
    Kiwi Racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NewZealand
    Posts
    290

    Unhappy

    You have done the thrust washers on your crankshaft,,,and your crank maybe toast to.

  8. #8
    Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brisvegas
    Posts
    4,158
    +1
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsta View Post
    there is no play on the crank what i can tell . the motor is gonna have to be pulled tho, there is an unbelievable amount of shards in the oil filter
    just not too sure what has happened until it is opened up
    [/URL]


  9. #9
    hudsta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MK United Kingdom
    Posts
    163
    +1
    1
    yeah i tried this what i found strange is the coupler slid about 10-12mm the other way (towards the pump) is there meant to be this much ??? i am taking my pump out to recheck the shaft and impeller splines are not damaged as it just seems to much movement on the shaft towards the prop.
    As said there doesn't seem to be any movement on the crank side and definatly no clunking like in the clip. Also pulleys SEEM to be still aligned so i don't think it has taken a major shunt forward
    I HOPE

  10. #10
    Kiwi Racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NewZealand
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsta View Post
    yeah i tried this what i found strange is the coupler slid about 10-12mm the other way (towards the pump) is there meant to be this much ??? i am taking my pump out to recheck the shaft and impeller splines are not damaged as it just seems to much movement on the shaft towards the prop.
    As said there doesn't seem to be any movement on the crank side and definatly no clunking like in the clip. Also pulleys SEEM to be still aligned so i don't think it has taken a major shunt forward
    I HOPE
    Hey dude i have seen this before !!!!!!!
    Your motor is SAD now
    Mine has end float in the pump drive shaft to,,maybe 5 to10mm.
    Those crankshafts dont like been bound up tight from the pump coupler or youre in big trouble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. how often do you need to rebuild x chargers
    By Jstcdoit in forum Sea Doo Sport Boats
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-19-2013, 06:53 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2011, 09:50 AM
  3. 04 rxp Do i need to keep knock sensor update with 05 motor
    By BoostedH23a1 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 04:30 PM
  4. If you blow a piston, do you have to rebuild the ENTIRE motor?
    By espritonsevas in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-21-2009, 10:05 AM
  5. What do i need to rebuild my supercharger
    By zRaXcPk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 05:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •