S/c tension gauge

I used the order OEM parts link on this greenhulk about two weeks ago and ordered a s/c tension gauge. Riva just got the part from kawasaki and UPS delivers it on Monday. Problem is, I have to show up an RXT today and I dont want to slip in the hole shot. A week ago, I tensioned the pulley because the belt was definitely loose. Its significantly better, only slipping every 1 in 3 hole shots instead of before where every single time I make a hard pull it would slip. I'm sure that i need to tighten it more, but I've read that overtightening is just as bad. Is there a good way to use the good ole "calibrated eyeball" on this thing to get the tension in the ballpark?

BTW...I also had a ride plate ordered on the same ticket as the gauge...Riva wasnt going to mail everything until they got the gauge from kawasaki.... WHAT!?!?!? Its a good thing I called them a week and a half ago, got a status update and asked them to ship separately! I got the ride plate 2 days later

+1
    grab the long part of the belt at the bottom in the middle and twist it, should only get a 1/4 of turn.

+1
    Sure it's your belt slipping and you don't have cavatation?

I'm mostly sure. In the past, I've tightened the s/c belt and it helped a ton. Before I adjusted the belt, when I sat at idle and gunned the throttle, it would jump up to 7500+rpms. after a second and 10-20 mph, the rpms would suddenly drop to about 5000 and you could hear the engine hesitate. once the engine catches itself, 1-2 seconds later, it jumps back to 7500+ and continues to max speed. After I tightened the belt, this only happened maybe every one in three hard takeoffs

Thread Information