94 raider limp mode

Well I've had the waveraider out about 4 times this year.
    First time it ran great all day till the tank was out. Took it out again a week later and after riding for about 20 minutes then went into limp mode and I got the temp light. I went into shore and everything looked fine. I was able to easily put my hand on the top of the head by the plugs without being burned which made me think it wasn't overheating. After it sat for a couple minutes I tried it again and it ran full power for about 2 minutes then went back into limp mode. I tried unplugging the LCD gauge(glass is cracked so I thought it might be water damage), that made no difference. Put it on the trailer.
    I then realized that in the hurry to get on the water I had topped it off with old oil that had been sitting open for a few years. I removed all the old oil and topped it off with amsoil interceptor. I took it out 2 days ago just to test and it ran great, I ran it for a 1/4 tank. Take it out yesterday and it runs great for about 40 minutes then goes into limp mode. This time there was no temp light but the tach/fuel gauge was flashing(I think the LCD is water damaged so this might not be important).
    I let it sit for about a minute then started it up, ran fine for a couple minutes then back into limp mode, so I put it on the trailer.

It gets a steady stream of water out the side when in the water or on hose. It's using oil at a normal rate. Every time it's gone into limp mode I could easily touch the cylinder head without being burned.

UPDATE

tested the sensor in water and according to the meat thermometer I used(not sure how good it is), the sensor tripped at about 155 deg F.

took it out today and it went into limp mode after 20 min. unplugged sensor and it fine but I only ran it for 1 few seconds to test because I wasn't sure if it was actually overheating.

Seemed kinda hot, plus according to the test the sensor appears to be close enough to specs.

Took carb cover off and ran on trailer and could see oil slowly oozing out of the hole in both carbs.

Do these things have water pumps or does it just run off suction from the jet?

go premix dood if its over heating because its not getting oil then you will be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by pilo704 View Post
    go premix dood if its over heating because its not getting oil then you will be in trouble
    Well if it's oozing out of the holes when running doesn't that mean it's working? How hard should it be coming out?

Thread Information