Sponsored Racer Mark Gerner

LB2CAT 2009 National PWC Offshore Championships, July 12th, 2009's own Mark Gerner and his LB2CAT interview post Race. Mark and his team are dedicated to supporting racers and offshore racing. You won't want to miss the LB2CAT DVD that will be coming out soon! If you are interested in offshore racing, check out and read up on all the tutorials. You'll be glad you did!

Name Mark Gerner

Race Boat Make/# 2007 KAWASAKI ULTRA 250X, #58

Time for the race: 61 min

Placing for the Race 2nd overall
2nd in the Pro/Am class

Why did you choose the class you raced in and what does it mean to you?
I race Pro

Your position as best you could determine on the start?
Top 6 at the exit gate (6th)

What did you do the day before, any preparation?
All the preparation was done during the weeks before the race. Thank you Aaron Cress and Steve Friebe for all of their tremendous technical support.

The only race prep I did the day before the race was duct taping the two GPS units to the hood of my craft. I do that the day before to ensure the tape is fresh and has the opportunity to bake in the sun.

Mark sharing the podium with Tech Advisor Aaron Cress & Steve Friebe

What were you thinking of the night before?
As always, I go through the mental check list in my head multiple times. I'm not entirely sure if I do it intentionally, I just do it - and ultimately it inhibits sleep! Ha! I really never sleep before the LB2CAT, as always I think I had three hours, max.

Why did you choose the boat you raced?
I had a very trusted advisor in the middle of the channel at 7:30 am to provide a sea state report. He provided his report and recommended the ULTRA250X over the RXT.

Having complete trust in this individual, I chose the ULTRA for that sea state, he was correct in his recommendation.

What time did you wake up!
3 am

2 Hours out of the race, what were you doing?
Driving down the 710 freeway, I was about 10 minutes out from the ramp.

1 Hour out of the race what were you doing?
Prepping both the RXT and the ULTRA, putting on my wetsuit, drinking water, giving race fuel to a friend, waiting for the "recon" phone call from my friend in the channel that would ultimately lead to a boat selection decision.

What was your first thought when you picked your position in the lineup for the start?
I intentionally was far left so I could have clear water and stay away from the main lead pack of craft. That turned out to be a successful approach, I had no craft in front of me (no water wash from other craft) and clear water the entire way. You will see my craft a the very top of the screen on the LB2CAT DVD teaser footage of the start.

Editor Note: Here are the links for the 2 Promos:
1. [/URL]
2. [/URL]

Gerner pictured with fellow team mate, Kim Bushong on the podium

As the start went off, and you passed the Queens Gate (harbor mouth) What was going through your mind?
"this thing feels like a heavy, plowing barge and feels way too slow....." I had close to 30 gallons of race fuel in the craft (extra fuel tank in the bow) that appeared to be weighing me down.

I was not pulling as hard as I should have been and was concerned. Over time, the craft picked up speed as I burned off fuel.

How was the first 10 miles of the race for you?
The conditions were mild (relatively speaking) and therefore it felt fairly easy for the ULTRA.

I passed a few broken/down craft & felt bad for them, I know how much preparation there is that goes into this race and breaking this quickly in the race must have been a severe disappointment

When you came to the turnaround boat, how were you feeling? How was your boat doing in those conditions?
I felt strong. The craft was a little fuel heavy and I noted that I lost a little hookup in a few choppy spots. I will reevaluate the 1 degree wedge on the ULTRA for the ocean.

Half way back did you hit a psychological or physical wall?

Any mechanicals failures?
None thankfully. Thank you Aaron Cress and Steve Friebe

Did you have any 'Battles' during the race with other competitors you especially enjoyed?
Yes, with another Kawasaki ULTRA250X

What advice would you give to recruit other racers to this event?
Anyone can win this race on any given day.
1. Train hard and safe.
2. Lifter wedges are a must for me.
3. Adopt a riding/racing style that lends to hookup (keeping the pump
engaged) and one that is ergonomically comfortable

Thank you Sponsors and Supporters!
Thank you
R&D Racing
HT Moto
Liquid Militia Clothing
OTB Boots
Fly Racing and the Fly Platinum Helmet
K38 Water Safety