oil alarm how long do you have before lock up

was riding today and my buddys oil alarm went off on him, he just reset the gages and the light was still on. he turned it off then started the ski again and made it home like 2 miles w/o it coming on again. when we got back to the launch we looked again and there was..not much but there was some in there. could he have messed his ski up? its a 2001 gpr 1200 just like mine. it was not calm out there and the waves were about 2-4' but he tried to keep it level so the oil would still get sucked up. can you go for a little bit when the alarm comes on? is there like a non adjustable reserve on the oil tank?

Quote Originally Posted by patrick webb View Post
    was riding today and my buddys oil alarm went off on him, he just reset the gages and the light was still on. he turned it off then started the ski again and made it home like 2 miles w/o it coming on again. when we got back to the launch we looked again and there was..not much but there was some in there. could he have messed his ski up? its a 2001 gpr 1200 just like mine. it was not calm out there and the waves were about 2-4' but he tried to keep it level so the oil would still get sucked up. can you go for a little bit when the alarm comes on? is there like a non adjustable reserve on the oil tank?
    The yamaha manual says you have about .45 gal left of oil (tank is 1.45 gal I believe)... that is on the GP1300R though, not sure about a 1200, but I cant imagine its any different in principle.

thanks man...bottoms up! it's Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
    The yamaha manual says you have about .45 gal left of oil (tank is 1.45 gal I believe)... that is on the GP1300R though, not sure about a 1200, but I cant imagine its any different in principle.
    Yeah, but that being said, you don't want to run on a low tank of oil. Air might get sucked into the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    Yeah, but that being said, you don't want to run on a low tank of oil. Air might get sucked into the lines.

very true

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    +1

I always "80% of the time" top off my oil tank before I head out. It can be a drag to head to the store but much better than getting online for new engine parts!!!!!!

Thread Information