00' GP12r Went To Adjust Idle and Found This Broken ?

Hey fellas I'm a nooobi around here so please bare with me. I pick up my 00' GP12r last week and with work n school I really havent been able to mess with it much less ride. Well when I test rode it it had a rough idle, rode well no boggin out or anything but once off the throttle it idles pretty rough and engine vibrates quite a bit. So I got home and flushed it on the trailer and notcied how rought the idle really was. I asked a few questions and was told that this was the knob that adjusts this idle (next to my finger)....

well when I went to turn it it came iff the bracket it was on, SO I was like alright no biggie so I held it with one hand and tried to turn it with the other (very slightly) it came off WTF it just popped off. So I have a small knob in one hand and a tube going to the back of the carbs in the other. Any input can idle still be adjusted ? can I have this adjustment knob fixed at a later time????

Same thing happened to me first time I tried to adjust idle. The tube is like a thick cable which passes through a threaded hole on the front carb, then pushes against the throttle lever to stop the butterflies closing too far, thus giving idle speed adjustment. The cable sometimes siezes in the hole and needs to be persuaded out with WD40 or similar, but it's right underneath the front carb. You can feel it, but that's about all! I took the carbs out to rebuild them, and fixed the cable at the same time. You should be able to get a used cable if you need, but you'll need to get the old one out first. You may get lucky by gripping the cable with grips and trying to turn it (looking down on it, turn it clockwise to speed up the idle). If not it may be time to remove the carbs and do the rebuild and repair, which is not difficult with the right tools and a manual to help (do a search and download the manual from this site). Hope this helps. Just looked at where you are, and wondered if you are near to Jims' performance in Palm Beach. Anything you need to know or get done, he's a top man to help. Gave me some great advice and assistance!
    Last edited by pauladave; 07-26-2009 at 05:33 AM. Reason: extra info

Damn i think the carbs are fine and I really dont want to take out the carbs to fix a cable I dont see a wire down in the tube is there any other way to adjust ?

+1
    No other way to adjust them, you need to get a new adjuster assembly, you do not need to remove the carbs to install, just the stinger.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    No other way to adjust them, you need to get a new adjuster assembly, you do not need to remove the carbs to install, just the stinger.
    good to hear man i was hopeing it wasent that serious that i would need to remove the carbs

+1

Cool

have you priced that thing!
    had mine break also,when to auto parts store bought speedometer cable repair kit ($8.00)
    went to radio shack pick up knob (1.99) drilled out old cable from screw adj,silver solder piece of new cable (have done it with epoxy),grease cable,reinstall outer sheath,install knob-your off to the race's

hope that helps

later cd

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    have you priced that thing!
    had mine break also,when to auto parts store bought speedometer cable repair kit ($8.00)
    went to radio shack pick up knob (1.99) drilled out old cable from screw adj,silver solder piece of new cable (have done it with epoxy),grease cable,reinstall outer sheath,install knob-your off to the race's

hope that helps

later cd

I wish I knew that you meant. I cant see the cable down the tube its in? Also took it to a mechanic today he said it would be 200 bucks to fix it and he would have it done in one day, does this found fair? He also told me since my meter assy. is broken that I could use one from a XLT1200 anyone tried this

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Hey,sorry to worry you! I didn't mean you had to remove the carbs for defo! As I said, you might be able to persuade the cable out with a bit of patience and WD40, IF it has siezed into the thread. You may be lucky and find it isn't even siezed, but I assume that's why the knob broke-you tried to turn it with a bit of pressure and the plastic gave up. The manual shows where the cable fits through the carb, and a small mirror may give you a better view to understand what's what. Maybe someone could post a picture of the underside of the carb for you? It helps to know what you're feeling for. As Bill says, remove the stinger and it gets a lot easier to get under the carb.

Kid In A Adult Body sandman7793's Avatar
    How long has your gauge not worked. I repaired mine off of a 2000 pm me and i will tell you my number and if that dont work then you can go ahead and buy a gauge that is overly priced from someone on the get rich quick plan also i dont believe that those 2 gauges are interchangeable

thanks P&D but i am just gonne take it to the mechanic take it cuz i am lazy and I dont like to mess things up which i tend to do. But the cluster thing yes there are a lot of ppl that want way to much for them i will send you a PM sandman thanks

Thread Information