Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar

Angry I have a 1996 gtx kicking my a$$

I have a 96 787 gtx just kicking my ass. it is missing about 1500 rpms on top end after a 40 sec burst.
    If i'm ideling and ai punch it, it revs real good for about 50 sec, then settels down at 6000 rpms, with the rpms going up to 7000 then 6000 and so on. I haveulled the fuel pick up and changed the filter,changed the fuel filter, blown the fuel lines out, pulled the carbs and changed the needles and seats, changed the vacume paults line (vacume pump line. diafram.) cleaned the jets while apart. checked the high settings and low setting to the book.
    The only thing I know about it any more is: if I pinch the return line it picks up rpms and runns better.
    Before going through the carbs it did the same thing, but rpms only went to 4500.

any Ideas? ANY? [email protected]

you didn't drill out the return line restriction in the front plate on the rear carb thinking it was clogged did you? have seen people do that not knowing it was supposed to be there. How about the fuel tank vent, have you loosened the gas cap to see if that helps?

maybe try the valve on the water box that looks like a rave valve, my buddy had a similar thing with his GSX 800 and the valve was f*#@ed up

+1
    Certainly sounds like it is leaning out.

Have you tried a plug chop as soon as it noses over to see what is going on in there?

There is a fuel filter in the fuel pump have you checked this to see if it's nice and clean.

Markus

+1
    If you still have the grey Tempo fuel lines than that is most likely the problem. They break down on the inside and leave small grey pellets in the internal fuel filters in the carbs. Lean to boom in no time.

Thanks for the new Ideas. Does any one have a link or a download able manule for this beast? It does have gray fuel lines and I have been seeing blue specks in the filters. Is that what that is?
    where are the filters in the carbs?

+1
    i have a 96 gtx if you need some pics or i will try to answer what i can

I found the filter on the micro finch. I was there DID NOT DO that!.That and the hoses are a good place to start.

+1
    You don't need the manual for this but it takes a while. Check the Mikuni site for explodes & rebuild info.

You will need 20' of Gates 1/4" fuel line and choke/carb cleaner (NAPA), a bag of Thomas & Betts Premium Ties (zip ties w/ SS inserts)

I HATE Oetker clamps. Just pry under them a little and yank the line off.

Remove the carbs as before. The filters are on the fuel-pump side of the carbs. The one on the PTO carb will be more clogged (the harder one to get to). If you did clean the filters the first time it would only last few tanks before clogging again.

Take the fuel lines off one at a time; measure and cut new line, replace using zip ties (especially the inter-carb lines). Work your way back to the fuel selector but dont attach yet. Clean and lube the fuel selector valve until full flow in each position. Attach lines.

Most likely this crud in everywhere. I suggest emptying, & removing the gas tank for cleaning. If the fuel sender is not working there are probably parts sloshing around in the tank.

Be sure to clean the carb bolts and apply synthetic greece to the threads when reinstalling.

PM me your address and I'll send you a '96-'98 Manual CD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information