Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sl900 high speed miss

I have a 96 sl900. I took it out today and at full throttle it misses every once and a while. It was still running good and acctually was faster than my 1100zxi. It was doing 56.8 stock on gps. I know I should try new plugs and cut the wires back but what else have everyone had trouble with? I also am not sure if it has the ignition upgrade.

to tell if it does you gotta take the electrical box apart and reads the cdi part number

Yeah I have been meaning to check it before something happens to it.

Ok we took it out again today and it seems to run fine from quarter to half throttle. If you slam the throttle it pops and spits. If you push it to full throttle slowely it will run full. It does spit and miss a little at full throttle. The steering also seems to have gotten tight when you are on the throttle. It seems smooth when you are sitting still or out of the water but under power it is tight!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stubburnjdh View Post
    Ok we took it out again today and it seems to run fine from quarter to half throttle. If you slam the throttle it pops and spits.

If you push it to full throttle slowly it will run full. It does spit and miss a little at full throttle.

The steering also seems to have gotten tight when you are on the throttle. It seems smooth when you are sitting still or out of the water but under power it is tight!!
    Check the bolts and bushings for the nozzles, and make sure nothing is coming loose or broken.

Quote Originally Posted by stubburnjdh View Post
    Ok we took it out again today and it seems to run fine from quarter to half throttle. If you slam the throttle it pops and spits. If you push it to full throttle slowely it will run full. It does spit and miss a little at full throttle. The steering also seems to have gotten tight when you are on the throttle. It seems smooth when you are sitting still or out of the water but under power it is tight!!
    Sounds to me like you have a fuel problem...be careful or you'll end up with holes in the pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Check the bolts and bushings for the nozzles, and make sure nothing is coming loose or broken.

I did find the brace the steering and the nozzle hook to has more movement than it probably should. I am able to move it up and down about 3/4 of an inch. I am going to tighten the bolts down a little bit.

+1
    Sounds lean to me.

Try applying a little choke, then nailing the throttle. If it helps, that will help verify you have a lean problem.

I think it's time to get in and check the entire fuel system.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlineR6 View Post
    Sounds lean to me.

Try applying a little choke, then nailing the throttle. If it helps, that will help verify you have a lean problem.

I think it's time to get in and check the entire fuel system.
    I have plans on painting it this winter and pull everything out and clean it up and put new fuel lines on. I believe it has all the original lines. I am going to go out and pull the plugs and do a quick once over.
    Could this be ignition related??

+1
    Yes, it could also be ignition. If it does not have an electrical update, add that to the list for this winter project.

But i'm almost certain it's fuel delivery at the moment.

When you say it "pops and spits" when you nail the throttle, that makes me think lean right away. Especially with it responding better with slow or easing into the throttle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information