Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 slxh dead in water

hey i have a 98 slxh just got it up and running was out riding it today was doing great for its first time out since i started working on it ran bout an hour then it just died i tryed reseting the breaker but it wasnt triped so i checked the positive cable it was loose so i gigled it and it started up i ran it back to the dock and then it wouldnt start so i loaded it up to look at it at home when i got home i tightened the cable and the ground wires were loose inside the electrical box where the starter solinoid is located but after doing that everything is dead no gauges no bilge and wont even try to turn over i checked the battery its 13 volts and everything is tight i changed fuses they werent blown but changed anyway. i tryed pulling the black with yellow cable on the circuit board and tryed starting it still nothing then i jumped across the startor solinoid. that will make it turn over but no spark so then i pulled the grey wire and jumped it still no spark. so what is causing everything to not work. the ground is clean and tight and so is the positive i have 13v at the starter solinoid.

can anyone help me

Sounds like a dead CDI...go through the manual and do some CDI tests to figure out if it is good or not. It will require an ohmmeter, and a fair amount of time if you are good with electrical stuff!!

the cdi would keep the mfd from working along with it not wanting to turn over at all

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Electrical connections need to be more than just tight.

They must be clean. No corrosion, with clean metal to metal contact. Start checking the ground connections with a meter.

Next check the voltages at the Red/Purple wires, especially while trying to start the engine.

while i was working on the motor i ground down the ground spot on the block and wire brushed the cable so i know the motor ground is clean and tight and the battery is new and is 13v and that end is clean and tight. all the positive cables are clean and tight i pulled up the circuit board and checked the back for corosion its clean and tight and all the circuits have 11v on them right now i think somthing is shorting out somehow bc the bracket that holds the starter solinoid has 12v. the solinoid is brand new. motor wont even try to start here is what i have
    black block of wires all read 11.4 then go to 12.9 when hit the start
    yellow are constant 12.95
    red with purple constant 12.95
    tan block starts at 11.32 then goes to 12.4
    yellow with red start 11.4 go to 12.9
    black with yellow start 11.3 go to 12.4
    gray starts at 10.6 goes to 12.1

+1
    [quote=npoglese;1150807]i think somthing is shorting out somehow bc the bracket that holds the starter solinoid has 12v. black block of wires all read 11.4 then go to 12.9 when hit the start

This means you have a bad ground. That bracket is where the grounds connect,It should always show ground,no volts.

thanks i guess ill start pulling wires and reseting them thanks alot guys any imput always helps this site is way awesome. ill let you know what happens

this is my last question my ground terminal has constant power to it so i unhooked all the grounds and joined them together off of the terminal block that fixed that issue. but then i took out the startor solinoid and jumped across the to leads i still have no spark. i did this because when the solinoid is hooked up and you hit the start button nothing happens except the ground starts puting out 12 volts. so eliminate that if its bad. then while its out and i was jumping across the positive leads to make it turn over i put the gauge on the ground coming from the cdi and it was puting out 12v so im guessing from what ive read and uve said that would meen my cdi is bad and if so do i have to replace the magneto as well it just sucks becuase this is the upgraded unit. and if it went bad then why when i was on the water it turned off twice on me then after fucking with the positive cable it start back up for me then everything die all together.

+1
    Back to the ground issue.
    When there is 12v and ground on an electrical part, All of the power gets used up,there should not be any power on the ground wire.
    When there is a bad ground,the 12v volts will just run through the part and not get used up(part will not work) Having 12v on your CDI black wire,absoulutely means it is not grounded. The CDI will not work.

With the ign update,I beleive the only ground is through the Stator harness (unless it was modified some how),grounds at the stator itself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information