Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SL780 grate and plate on a budget?

Ive been doing some research on intake grates and ride plates for my 96 sl 780. Ive been looking on ebay at some ride plates but ive read alot of posts on here about them not fitting right. Right now i have the stock short pump but i would like to upgrade to an extended pump in the future. I guess i would probably need a different ride plate if i upgrde to the long pump right? right now i just want to get rid of some of the porpoising and hopefully gain a few mph.

As far as an intake grate i just want something that will keep me hooked up a little better in choppier water. And it needs to be CHEAP! I read about a fisher(?) intake grate or something for like 40 bucks on ebay. Doesnt have to be new stuff either. if any one has anything they want to get rid off that will work let me know!

First of all you don't have to change the pump when you change the ride plate. Second - I have put a ride plate on and I think because of the short design on the ski keeping the ski 'hooked-up" in choppy water is though. By design the boat wants to jump out of the water. When I had my older SL750's I installed a ride plate on one and not only didn't it fit right - Which in turn caused leaks - I really didn't notice a difference.

Now - I will tell you something else I have done that did help my ski. The home improvement spray insulation (spelling) ... greatstuff - Its an expanding foam -

On my 96 SL750 I sprayed a can and fulled up the gaps in the back of the ski like around where the existing styrofoam (again spelling!) ... This ended up increasing the boyancy of the boat and allowed me to come out of the hole faster.

When I first did it I really was not expecting it to change anything - I am a bigger guy so I REALLY didn't think it would help or it would just cause the pump to be too far out of the water - but it just raised it enough where it made a difference.

Yeah i get what ya mean with the porpoising. The sl is really short and on top of having such a flat hull is bound to skip around. I just figured a longer ride plate would add some stability. Im not going to change the pump because of the plate. I want to upgrade the pump for the benefits the pump provides and then add a plat accordingly. I would like a plate that would be good for both pumps because i might not be getting one for a few months. As for the foam stuff that shouldnt make any difference in your buoyancy unless your hull is full of water. The buoyancy is determined by the water the actual outside of the hull displaces. The styrofoam is just there as a back up in case your boat does fill completely with water so it wont sink completely.

+1
    www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com

the guy is John Zigler. I think if you want to go cheap, get the stuff that comes off the SLX (in 96'). I think this will be cheap AND get you the performance that you want.

Good luck.

(If you're looking for someone who can help you ANYONE would second John Zigler)

Quote Originally Posted by Plrs X45 View Post
    www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com

the guy is John Zigler. I think if you want to go cheap, get the stuff that comes off the SLX (in 96'). I think this will be cheap AND get you the performance that you want.

Good luck.

(If you're looking for someone who can help you ANYONE would second John Zigler)

Zig is the man, can definitely help, also Randy from Watcon. The stock SLX 780 R & D grate and plate is a substantial upgrade over the std SL 780 stuff, so if it is available go for it, will be the most cost efficient for sure.

I like the Ocean Pro "Ocean" ride plate, the Watcon custom plates may work for you as well.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyrider View Post
    Ive been doing some research on intake grates and ride plates for my 96 sl 780. Ive been looking on ebay at some ride plates but ive read alot of posts on here about them not fitting right. Right now i have the stock short pump but i would like to upgrade to an extended pump in the future. I guess i would probably need a different ride plate if i upgrde to the long pump right? NO same ride plate right now i just want to get rid of some of the porpoising and hopefully gain a few mph.

As far as an intake grate i just want something that will keep me hooked up a little better in choppier water. And it needs to be CHEAP! I read about a fisher(?) Never heard of them Get yourself a R&D or factory Polaris R&D intake grate or something for like 40 bucks on ebay. Doesnt have to be new stuff either. if any one has anything they want to get rid off that will work let me know!
    Look around on eBay, take your time if you want parts on the cheap. A factory 95 or 96 SLX plate will do just fine. I actually scored a 95 SLX pump from a guy on eBay a couple of years back pretty cheap. Ask them to throw in the steering cable if you go that route.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hproduction38 View Post
    ...an expanding foam -

On my 96 SL750 I sprayed a can and filled up the gaps in the back of the ski like around where the existing styrofoam (again spelling!)

... This ended up increasing the buoyancy of the boat and allowed me to come out of the hole faster.

When I first did it I really was not expecting it to change anything - I am a bigger guy so I REALLY didn't think it would help or it would just cause the pump to be too far out of the water - but it just raised it enough where it made a difference.
    Did you apply this expanding foam to the inside of the hull, or the outside?

If applied to the inside of the hull, I don't see how additional foam would change the hull buoyancy, since it isn't touching the water.

Cool thanks for the help! Im gonna keep my eyes peeled.
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

If applied to the inside of the hull, I don't see how additional foam would change the hull buoyancy, since it isn't touching the water.
    ya putting it on the inside wouldnt do anything:

"According to Archimedes' principle, "Any object, wholly or partly immersed in a fluid, is buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.""

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

why do they fill pontoons with foam then?? just wondering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information