2001 & 2002 Virage

Bought these as new old stock 3 years ago and they seem to always need something to keep them running. Both are flashing low oil and the tanks are full. I always find oil in the bottom of the hull and can't find any line leaks. The 2001 idles but dies if you try to accelerate. The 2002 ran OK for a while yesterday but then started running rough at top end.

OK, simple question - is there a reputable place in the midlands of SC to get these checked out? In my youth I enjoyed tinkering but now I'd just like to get on them and ride. If I can get them both running well, I'm planning on selling them for something less troublesome...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
    Bought these as new old stock 3 years ago and they seem to always need something to keep them running. Both are flashing low oil and the tanks are full. I always find oil in the bottom of the hull and can't find any line leaks. The 2001 idles but dies if you try to accelerate. The 2002 ran OK for a while yesterday but then started running rough at top end.

OK, simple question - is there a reputable place in the midlands of SC to get these checked out?

In my youth I enjoyed tinkering but now I'd just like to get on them and ride. If I can get them both running well, I'm planning on selling them for something less troublesome...
    Welcome

Click below for the manuals, and other useful info

Are these two or three cylinder engines?

Carburetor or fuel injection?

What is the service history?

Oil leak - check the oil tank breather check valve, which is mounted on the top of the tank. If the tank is kept very full, the check valve can drip oil. A new check valve can fix the problem. Parts sources listed in the links below.

Also check that the oil sender is fully seated into the tank hole. Sometimes these do weep oil around the sender fitting.

Other oil leaks sources can be hose ends at the oil pump, or the oil tank. Wrap some strips of clean cloth around the various clamps, and see which ones get oily.

In some cases, all that is needed is to remove the oil line, trim off the last 1/2", and reinstall. Or you can just install new oil lines.

It is important to replace the oil filter annually.

Oil level shows low, but tank is full. Check the oil sender wiring. Sounds like the sender is unplugged, or a wire is loose. I suppose the sender/float could have come loose inside the tank, but a visual inspection should tell you what is happening.

They are both 2 cylinder, "red" engine, carburated models. I've been doing a lot of reading here and the first thing I see is mine have the gray fuel lines. The first thing I'm going to do in the AM is replace these lines and install an inline fuel filter. I pulled the carb from the 01 and cleaned it good including using compressed air to flush all the jets. It seemed I blew some crud out of the main.

As far as the oil level, the wires are connected and I think I'll just jump it with the 33 ohm resistor to end the problem. Working inside the ski is a pain as there just isn't much room at all. I still need to find the oil leak but I suspect it's coming from the top of the take as I had it filled very full.

These were new when I bought them and there's less than 15 hours on each as I haven't had time to ride much in the past 2 years. I've winterized them myself and kept them stored properly.

Anyway, anyone know of a quality mechanic in the central SC area if my home "wrenching" doesn't succeed?

I have a 2002 Virage and had the low oil light flashing with a lot of oil in the the bilge. My problem was the plug that holds the sensor would not stay in and bounced out. I bent a thin piece of metal over the plug and bent the ends down over the lip and put on a ss band to hold it on . Have not had a problem since.

Thread Information