Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2004 MSX-150 Surges and MAX RPM 5850

OK so here is my story and problem. A couple weekends ago my MSX-150 was running awesome. My uncle rolled it idle and I got it flipped back over within 2 minutes and it took a few but I got it started. I took it for a ride and it ran just fine, just like normal. Later that day my dad was complaining that it would not go over 30 mph. I knew it was getting low on gas so I checked it and it was almost empty and the fuel indicator was on. SO I figured there was some safety system in place to limit the RPM and when the fuel was too low (is that true)? I loaded it on the trailer and took it home. On the way to the lake a couple weekends later I filled it up with 91 Octane gas. When I put it in the lake it ran like crap, would not go over 5850 RPM while in the water (out of the water it revs all the way up just fine). It also surges at idle between 1500 and 1750 RPM. My ski sat for 2 years before I bought it so my first thought is that when it got so low on gas it sucked some residue off the bottom of the tank into the fuel filter so I added some Octane booster and Sea Foam fuel conditioner. Did not change fuel filter yet. I have been reading alot about oil getting on the sensors. My oil is a bit overfilled, but it ran fine all day after it was rolled until it was ran low on gas, that is why I am leaning to the fuel filter. Does all this make sense and can anyone help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is this the same ski?

MSX 150 Will not start on angle

Same Ski

Yes it's the same Ski as the Will not start on Angle post. Although when I posted that it was running great it just would not start while on the lift with the back in the water. If I was sitting flat in the water it started fine. Once it started running like crap with the current problems I didn't try starting it while sitting flat in the water because I didn't want to get stranded. But it still won't start on the lift with the back in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsscraig View Post
    OK so here is my story and problem. A couple weekends ago my MSX-150 was running awesome. My uncle rolled it idle and I got it flipped back over within 2 minutes and it took a few but I got it started. I took it for a ride and it ran just fine, just like normal. Later that day my dad was complaining that it would not go over 30 mph. I knew it was getting low on gas so I checked it and it was almost empty and the fuel indicator was on. SO I figured there was some safety system in place to limit the RPM and when the fuel was too low (is that true)? I loaded it on the trailer and took it home. On the way to the lake a couple weekends later I filled it up with 91 Octane gas. When I put it in the lake it ran like crap, would not go over 5850 RPM while in the water (out of the water it revs all the way up just fine). It also surges at idle between 1500 and 1750 RPM. My ski sat for 2 years before I bought it so my first thought is that when it got so low on gas it sucked some residue off the bottom of the tank into the fuel filter so I added some Octane booster and Sea Foam fuel conditioner. Did not change fuel filter yet. I have been reading alot about oil getting on the sensors. My oil is a bit overfilled, but it ran fine all day after it was rolled until it was ran low on gas, that is why I am leaning to the fuel filter. Does all this make sense and can anyone help.
    I am having the same problem and my ski rolled too. I am going to try changing out my MAP sensor's.

Let me know how that works, I Am leaning towards a fuel filter on mine, because after mine rolled it was fine until it was ran out of gas. At least I hope thats all it is.

Let me know how that works, I Am leaning towards a fuel filter on mine, because after mine rolled it was fine until it was ran out of gas. At least I hope thats all it is.
    I didnt really give much thought to the fuel filter. I guess that might be cheaper to try first. Does anyone eles think this might be a fuel filter case with the limited to 6000 RPM and surging idle?

Yeah another reason I suspect the fuel filter in my case also is because my ski sat for about 2 years before I bought it. Then when the tank was ran really low (Almost Empty) I think it sucked up some sludge, because until then it ran fine, then when I filled it up and started it up it ran like crap.

Yeah another reason I suspect the fuel filter in my case also is because my ski sat for about 2 years before I bought it. Then when the tank was ran really low (Almost Empty) I think it sucked up some sludge, because until then it ran fine, then when I filled it up and started it up it ran like crap.
    Well my map sensors didnt fix it but I still belive that is what the problem is. When I pulled the thing apart there was oil everywhere in the intake system but I didnt have time last night to pull the intercooler and everything and clean everything out real good so I just swaped the used sensors from the other ski and tried it but didnt fix it.

Thanks for the update, keep me up to speed on your progress.

Might have an answer..

hey, i am new to the site and had my msx new since 04, and i roled mine as well. After that it was in the shop for months, (a whole summer) i will try and dig out my receipts in a day or 2 and see what the resolution was, but it sounds like the same issue.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information