Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Genesis max out at 40mph

I have a 2000 Genesis. I took it out Memorial day weekend and everything ran fine with it, then last weekend I took it out again the water was a little choppy so I didn't notice anything wrong at first but when it calmed down I noticed that I could not go over 40mph, I can usually get 55mph for a top speed.

I changed the spark plugs, the ones I took out still looked ok, and I check that all three plugs were getting a spark. I also cleaned out the fuel pump.

Any ideas what else I should try?

Thank you all in advance

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click below for service manuals, and other useful info

Is your Genesis fuel injected, or carburetors?

Is this machine new to you?

Service history?

Thank you for the fast reply, i just saw it today as I was waiting for an e-mail to tell me someone replied and never got one, might have gone to spam.
    Thank you very much for the link to the service manual I will have to take a look through that tonight.

Anyway, it is the carb model. I am the only owner. I have been pretty lucky with this as I have not had to do any work to it except for replacing the reverse cable. I winterize it every year.

Over the past weekend I check the compresion and all three read 120. I also checked out the impeller for an dings or cracks and didn't find anything that looked wrong.

+1
    Have a look here;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

What maximum RPM are you seeing in the water?

Will it rev higher on the trailer?
    (just don't over rev it)

Any warning messages or red lamp on the display?

When you hold the throttle open, does it surge up and down in RPM, or run roughly, or does it just run slower than expected, but smoothly?

Is it actually running slower, or is it just the speedometer that could be incorrect?

The max RPM is about 6500. I didn't see how high it would rev on the trailer and I am not by it now. Havn't seen any warning messages or the red warning light.

When I hold down the throttle it accelerates normally then just tops out around 40 and the 6500RPM and holds there. It feels pretty smooth, just slower then normal.

I had a friend ride the same speed with me to confirm the speed was right on my speedometer

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bxtr97 View Post
    ... When I hold down the throttle it accelerates normally then just tops out around 40 and the 6500RPM and holds there.

It feels pretty smooth, just slower then normal...
    Sounds like a drive line or propulsion problem.

Inspect the jet pump from both the rear and the intake grate. Use a strong flashlight, and look for damage, debris, bent or broken blades on either the impeller or fixed stator blades.

Also look for excessive gap between the impeller blades and the surrounding wear ring. Should be well under 0.020 inches.

If that seems fine, have a look at the rubber bonded drive shaft coupler behind the engine. You will need to remove the cover over the coupler.

Sometimes the rubber bonding fails, and the coupler slips under load. Look for black 'dust' or greasy dirt under the coupler.

When the coupler slips, it generates heat. If it gets hot enough, it will melt the rubber, which can look like this;
    When a rubber bonded drive shaft coupler goes bad

After you ride it at full throttle for a few minutes, touch the coupler (engine off, of course). If the coupler feels hot, it is probably slipping, and needs to be replaced.

You did not mention any metallic or whining sounds, but the next thing to check would be the drive shaft splines. You would need to remove the jet pump, then inspect the splines on both ends of the drive shaft, the impeller, and inside the engine coupler.

Thank you, I will have to check that out this weekend since I keep it at my Dads. I will update my status on this then.

Again thank you for the tips

same issue...less RPMs

2001 Genesis (carbs)

Runs nice and smooth, but no power out of the hole or in corners. Top speed is 40 mph @ 5000 rpms.

Once in a while it will bog down going from idle to full throttle. Checked compression and all were fine. A friend with PWC experience thinks it's a carb issue.

It hasn't run right since last summer when I had an issue with propulsion. I didn't really understand exactly what was wrong and didn't have the knowledge to ask the right questions. But basically, I was told that the tube where the impeller is located was no longer round and was interfering with the impeller. On top of that, I had sucked up a large plastic sheet of some sort and it had wrapped around the drive shaft. I now think that they replaced the pump housing. I also received a new impeller.

Do impellers come in different pitches like boat propellers? Could my issue be that the wrong impeller was put on?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Number1HoustonTexansFan View Post
    2001 Genesis (carbs)

Runs nice and smooth, but no power out of the hole or in corners. Top speed is 40 mph @ 5000 rpms.

Once in a while it will bog down going from idle to full throttle. Checked compression and all were fine. A friend with PWC experience thinks it's a carb issue.

It hasn't run right since last summer when I had an issue with propulsion. I didn't really understand exactly what was wrong and didn't have the knowledge to ask the right questions.

But basically, I was told that the tube where the impeller is located was no longer round and was interfering with the impeller.

On top of that, I had sucked up a large plastic sheet of some sort and it had wrapped around the drive shaft. I now think that they replaced the pump housing. I also received a new impeller.

Do impellers come in different pitches like boat propellers? Could my issue be that the wrong impeller was put on?
    This should be in a separate thread, as the issue is not quite the same.

Impellers do come in different pitches, and the impeller will have a part number embossed onto the hub. You will need to remove the jet pump to read the part number.

You had the machine serviced last year, and it did not run correctly afterwards?
    Did the shop not water test it to confirm it was working correctly?

Do you still have the original gray Tempo fuel lines?
    Have a look here;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

Do you have the correct spark plugs installed?

It does sound like a carb issue...

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    This should be in a separate thread, as the issue is not quite the same.
    Moved to http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...69#post1159969

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information