Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Help With Impeller Selection

I'm not sure if I am going to wait till I get my Riva Intercooler, BOV, and Riva E1 wheel or if I'm going to get an impeller now with my current setup. Any advice would be helpful. I am currently hitting 71.3 mph and 8050 rpms on the stock impeller. I have all the mods that you see in my signature. I am planning to get the Riva Intercooler and E1 wheel along with the BOV in the future, but it all depends on money. That will run me a good bit of money so I am not sure if it will get done this season or next. What impeller should I get if I am going to maximize my current setup? My situation is slightly different from the normal stage 1 cause I did the Motec first and seriously bumped up my rpms. Let me know what you guys think.

+1
    You will most certainly hit the 8,500rpm limiter with the stock impeller and the Riva wheel/intercooler combo.

On my end, I turned 8,450rpm on a C3 wheel, stock intercooler and stock impeller (MoTec on 93 octane map). I am currently running the new Dynafly 13/22 and my top rpm went down by around 250rpm @ 8,275rpm. GPS speed remained unchanged.

+1
    Did your holeshot improve?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ercBOOSTED View Post
    Did your holeshot improve?
    Yes it did. That is mainly because the oem prop would hit the rpm limiter on holeshots. Once off the rev limiter.... hard to tell from seat of the pants... I have to log more hours on that prop before declaring myself a happy camper. For now, doing ok but I had higher expectations..... ...

+1
    Isn't jerry running a 13/24 for about the same setup as you? Maybe thats not the right one for your setup. I thought for sure you would see more speed by getting rid of the stock prop.

+1
    Isn't jerry running a 13/24 for about the same setup as you? Maybe thats not the right one for your setup. I thought for sure you would see more speed by getting rid of the stock prop.
    I think you're talking about two different styles of impellers. 13/24 sounds like a swirl design and not a dynafly design.

I can't really offer any suggestion though. The enlarged inlet of the FZs seem to warrant fairly different impeller selections compared to that of the FX models. I don't know anyone running a dynafly on a SHO at the moment. Most are running a 13/23 or 13/24 3 blade swirl.

+1
    Jerry has a much more advanced & powerful setup than what I'm running. I'm still on a C3 wheel and stock exhaust. Mods so far are:

Motec on 93 octane map
    C3 Wheel
    R&D cooling engine & intercooler kit
    Bosch Blow Off Valve
    4" High Flow K&N filter
    R&D pump nozzle
    R&D pump seal kit
    AEM Uego LSU4 Lambda controller
    13/22 Dynafly prop
    R&D stage 1 intercooler
    Intake ribbon removed

My goal is to get to a consistent 78mph on premium pump gas with a stock looking and sounding FZS. My top speed is around 76mph gps.... so, I'm still chasing 2 mph.

I am resisting to go for the free flow exhaust and will possibly setup a different exhaust system involving a full open exhaust bypass activated by a wot switch connected to a master switch. I have setup this kind of system on many turbocharged sleds. The major benefit is the convenience of the stock noise level at all times except at WOT where the bypass is activated and you go straight exhaust.... this is when I need maximum power anyway.

Other than working on exhaust flow, I see additional opportunities playing with other SC wheels, and/or upgrading the intercooler and/or retarding the exhaust cam 2-4 degrees and/or improving my ride plate setup. Anyway... I did a lot in a short timeframe and I'm taking a pause to figure out the next steps... that's part of the fun....

Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I think you're talking about two different styles of impellers. 13/24 sounds like a swirl design and not a dynafly design.

I can't really offer any suggestion though. The enlarged inlet of the FZs seem to warrant fairly different impeller selections compared to that of the FX models. I don't know anyone running a dynafly on a SHO at the moment. Most are running a 13/23 or 13/24 3 blade swirl.
    I'm on vacation up at the Lake house in the Boonies and I finally got my 13/22R dynafly prop on last Friday night. It took 2 of us to get the damn bolts undone. Also took 2 of us to get the stock prop off. This was on my SHO with only 17 hours on it.

Any way, I haven't had time to do the Intake Manifold Upgrade yet, I have the Riva one. I have the rest of the Stage 1 mods installed though so far, minus a Rideplate:

Riva FF exhaust
    Riva air filter kit
    Riva Sponsons (For Sale by the way)
    Riva Intake Grate (Sealed with Riva kit)
    DynaFly 13/22R prop

The local marinas here are only running 93 mobil gas, but I've noticed my top speed has dropped considerably. I'm barely getting to 66mph on the GPS. I'm not a light weight (250lbs) or so, but I could barely manage 66mph with the buzzer on and calm conditions.

My first impressions are the prop improved the Holeshot big time. The thing is an animal now out of the hole. Top speed comes on sooner it feels like but it feels like its running out of steam. I'm off the Rev limiter, but it feels like its topped out on power and too much prop on the top end. I find it hard to believe that a $40 "ring" upgrade inside the throttle body would affect performance that much since I haven't installed it yet.

From my drag racing days of Cobras (4.6 DOHC) motor racing, throttle body mods were down the list of performance upgrades. As for the 93 gas, I would think the computer would adapt to the octane since there's more air flow coming in via the Riva air filter kit. I feel like the exhaust doesn't do much but sounds good. Although it gets annoying at times when i'm pulling tubers as I usually run around 5K rpms and its loud as hell. My wife says she can hear me half across the lake but can never see me

I'll try to start a new topic on my 13/22R dynafly prop impressions. I hope the Manifold upgrade is easier than doing a prop. I also will post detailed prop install tips when I get a chance. SHOBiz had some basic instructions but I have some tips/steps to add. The VISE is mandatory otherwise the stock prop isn't coming off.

Jeff

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by poof100 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that a $40 "ring" upgrade inside the throttle body would affect performance that much since I haven't installed it yet.

Jeff
    The ring replaces a fine mesh flame arrester that is about 1'' thick. With it you'll probably be back on the limiter!

Glad to hear the mods are working out. Why are you getting rid of the sponsons? How much?

Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BPnta View Post
    The ring replaces a fine mesh flame arrester that is about 1'' thick. With it you'll probably be back on the limiter!

Glad to hear the mods are working out. Why are you getting rid of the sponsons? How much?
    If it rains all day tomorrow here, I might pull it and do the manifold upgrade. I'm itching to get it in, too bad its a PITA

As for the Sponsons, I ride A lot of 2 up and sometimes 3 up with the wife and friends/family. I also do a lot of tubing, wakeboarding etc and I feel the Riva Sponsons are too short. I put them on last Thursday and put them on the lowest settings. It carves like its on rails, but when riding 2 up, it seems to "lean" catch side to side more now. I put them on the highest setting and it improved some, but still does it right around 4500rpms or so (about 20-25mph on the display). I just think for 2 or 3 up riding or towing, the Riva sponsons are not long enough. I do like the handling though, but I can live with less carving for better stability.

As for price, not sure yet, I literally just put them on last week and they have maybe 6-8 hours on them from riding all this week. I'll let you know.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information