Good RPM's but no Speed

I've done a search of the forum and found a few posts that help me a little bit, but my problem is a little different because it went away.

I have an '06 GTX Limited and this has happened twice and cleared itself up each time.

The ski will have no problem hitting higher RPM's ( 6,000-9,000 or more ) but the Max speed I was able to achieve was about 11 MPH. There was a small vibration too.

The first time it happened in the Florida Keys and someone said they saw what appeared to be a lot of grass on the bottom. The ski would seem to "slip" like the prop was turning but no speed and then it would all of the sudden seem to "catch" and take off. After several times stopping and starting it seemed to clear up and run normally.

And this past weekend in the Ches. Bay it did it once again and seemed to "slip" but would never really get up to any real speed and it had more of a vibration. We were caught in a storm and so I ran it like that for 1/2 hour to get to the ramp, and as we got closer to shore, it cleared up and was able to get to normal speeds... even hitting 69 MPH at one point.

My wife said she ran thru some very think heavy sea grasses and I suspect that it was clogged and wrapped around the prop and shaft and finally cleared itself out after running for a period of time. When I got it on the trailer and home, I inspected the intake and pump area and it was perfectly clear. I didn't see any real damage to the wear ring or prop.

The only thing I can think of is grass/weeds which finally got chopped up or burned off?

Any other item(s) I should be checking before I use it again ?

I don't want to put it in the water expecting to spend the day on it and have it act up again.

Thanks for any input.

+1
    It was probably the grass. When you shut the ski off and put it on hte trailer it probably fell out. I have had that happen and after shutting the ski off and floating for a couple minutes it went away.

+1.

Been there, been fooled, and still never learn either..!!

Thanks guys...

If it didn't go away, I'd be a lot more concerned.

It's still amazing how much it was affected...... But I guess if the jet passagway is blocked and water can't flow well... it must make a huge impact.

I hope to use the ski this weekend.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh BTW.... exactly what is the "Carbon Seal" and "carrier" and what do they do ?

I don't know if this GTX Ltd even has those, bit I read somewhere that these item can cause perfromance problems.

Is that true that those couple of items that could possibly cause such symptoms if there is some problem with them ?

+1
    If you are new to jetskis, this is pretty common ... if your ski ever revs high but does not move much, immediately kill the motor, jump in the water, and pull all the weeds and garbage out from the intake grate area under the ski. If you run very long with seaweed/grass/junk stuck in the intake grate you can overheat the motor and cause serious problems. The old 'motor revs up, but ski does not move very fast' is the first thing I instruct people about before letting them ride any ski ... it happens frequently and the junk needs to be cleared out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    If you are new to jetskis, this is pretty common ... if your ski ever revs high but does not move much, immediately kill the motor, jump in the water, and pull all the weeds and garbage out from the intake grate area under the ski. If you run very long with seaweed/grass/junk stuck in the intake grate you can overheat the motor and cause serious problems. The old 'motor revs up, but ski does not move very fast' is the first thing I instruct people about before letting them ride any ski ... it happens frequently and the junk needs to be cleared out quickly.
    Thanks for the info.... We were sort of caught in a storm and just trying to get back to our base. Next time I'll stop and check regardless of conditions. We may have been able to get back quicker if we had cleared things out.

Any tips on how to get access to clear things out... especially if the grass is wrapped around the shaft ? Because you can't fit your hand thru the grate and you can't get to it from the rear of the ski ?

I saw someone had actually applied for a patent on some sort of tool which is specifically used for clearing the grate areas of jet skis and boats but I don't see any such thing for sale anywhere.

Thanks.

+1
    +1

We went riding on Caddo Lake last weekend which has a lot of vegetation in some areas. My buddy and his girlfriend's skis both got their intakes loaded with weeds. Since he didn't really want to jump into the nasty alligator infested water he tried to "power" it out of his ski. Big mistake. Since it's not getting any cooling water, it overheated - bad. He eventually did have to get under the skis to clear them out, but later that day his blew the coupling hose at the waterbox inlet.

I agree and I've had to do this more times than I care to count going through canals and other such areas. You might've been caught in a storm and wanted to get home quickly, but it is better to jump off the ski, stick your hand underneath of there (engine off obviously!) and pull the shit out of it before you wind up floating in the storm instead of "riding it out."

As stated above, often if you cut the power the shit will drop out on it's own.

Thread Information