Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1

    1996 Polaris SLT 700 Eletrical Update?

    I recently read at http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/ that the part I ordered: Polaris Part # 2873355 - IGN UPDATE GEN3 PVL 700 96 would have been better if I had ordered "Apparently the better choice for all 1996-1999 two cylinder engines is the Hurricane update kit 2873022." Was I wrong in ordering the specified part #2873355 instead of this recommended part 2873022? I may be able to change the order if I catch it in time. By the way, I was able to purchase this part for $286.18.


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,569
    +1
    1,272
    The performance difference between the two update kits is not huge, mostly a better mid-range throttle response with the Hurricane CDI.

    Either Update will work just fine on your 1996 engine

  3. #3
    Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    3,350
    +1
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris slt700-darn View Post
    I recently read at http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/ that the part I ordered: Polaris Part # 2873355 - IGN UPDATE GEN3 PVL 700 96 would have been better if I had ordered "Apparently the better choice for all 1996-1999 two cylinder engines is the Hurricane update kit 2873022." Was I wrong in ordering the specified part #2873355 instead of this recommended part 2873022? I may be able to change the order if I catch it in time. By the way, I was able to purchase this part for $286.18.
    where did you order it from??

  4. #4
    i had a bad neg ground so my 1996 slt 700 died on me fixed the ground replace stator still no spark not sure if i am testing parts correct. how do you check stator. cdi and coil help have manual hard to understand its 700 2 cyl thanks for any help

  5. #5
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,569
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by skiber View Post
    i had a bad neg ground so my 1996 slt 700 died on me

    fixed the ground replace stator still no spark

    not sure if i am testing parts correct.

    how do you check stator. cdi and coil help

    have manual hard to understand its 700 2 cyl thanks for any help
    Welcome to the Hulk

    Best approach is to create your own thread in the General Discussions forum

    What stator part number did you install?
    What part number is on your CDI module?

    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

    How do I tell whether I have an updated or original type domestic ignition?
    What does a non-updated two cylinder Ignition coil look like?
    How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

  6. #6
    not sure stator number got it off ebay but guy said it was off slt 700 he had good feedback. cdi is 105 552 .02 this ski ran great for 2 years no problems tell now.

  7. #7
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,569
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by skiber View Post
    not sure stator number got it off ebay but guy said it was off slt 700...

    cdi is 105 552 .02...
    That CDI number would be an original 1996 CDI, not an updated version.

    An original CDI will not work with an updated stator.

    You can figure out which stator version you have by checking the stator coil ohm values. The new/updated and original stators have quite different ohm values.

    How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

  8. #8

    these are part numbers i have

    part number cdi 105552.02
    part number coils 105552.03
    part number stator 552 01-54
    have no spark not sure if testing correct found update kit at pure polaris for $361.32 ship to me kit number 2873355. it had bad ground would that cause a part to go bad.

  9. #9
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,569
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by skiber View Post
    part number cdi 105552.02
    part number coils 105552.03
    part number stator 552 01-54

    have no spark not sure if testing correct

    found update kit at pure Polaris for $361.32 ship to me kit number 2873355.

    it had bad ground would that cause a part to go bad.
    You have the original ignition system.

    Both Update Kits 2873355 and 2873022 are available from Parts Pit Stop for $286+shipping

    The original ignitions were known to fail over time. The Ignition System Update Kits are more reliable.

    Make very sure your battery is strong. A marginal battery will not deliver spark.

    While the engine is cranking, battery voltage must be over 10.6 volts
    , or no spark. This is measured with a multi-meter, either at the battery terminals, or at the CDI Red/Purple wire.

    Battery voltage when engine is not cranking is not as important as voltage while cranking.
    Last edited by K447; 01-29-2010 at 01:35 AM.

  10. #10

    thanks so much

    thanks alot for your help you are the best if i can ever help you out let me know have website tgosell sell dvds there would be more then happy to send you one for free no charge for shipping either all free just pick one and i will send it to you like gelcote repair just go to search and but in dvd and take your pick again thank you so much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. help/1996 Polaris SLT 700 - no spark, broken Tan wire
    By bartman in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 03:54 PM
  2. Help advise-1996 Polaris SLT 700
    By polaris slt700-darn in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2009, 03:19 PM
  3. 1996 polaris slt 700
    By bossd in forum Polaris Classifieds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 06:56 PM
  4. Need A Part For 1996 Polaris Slt 700
    By tacoloco in forum Polaris Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 05:27 AM
  5. 1996 Polaris SLT 700 mag cylinder problem
    By Hornby in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 11:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •