Yamaha power valve servo motors interchangable??

I have a 2001 gp1200r and my power valve servo motor went bad. I have a servo motor available to me from a 1999 XL1200 limited. My question is, are they interchangeable? They do have different part numbers. The part number for mine is 67X-85820-00-00 and the part number for the one i have available is 66V-85820-00-00. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

+1
    The answer to your question is yes and no. In that the servo motors are the same but some of the plugs are different.
    For instance I had to swap the plugs on an 02' gpr servo motor to make it plug into my 00' gpr. The wiring was the same but the plugs were different.
    Hope this helps.
    Doug

+1
    Motors are the same but there are different plugs.Same color wires though.

i know this is kind of off topic, but what is a power valve and is the 2003 GPR have it??

Yamaha

While I'm happy to hear I can use it, I am angry at yamaha for changing the quick disconnect plug and then saying the servos are not interchangeable. Grr.

As I understand, a powervalve is a valve on the exhaust that opens at higher RPM to create less back pressure while the engine is hard at work. There is a certian RPM that the engine has to get to before the valve will open. Then once it gets to that rpm, it just barley opens. As you get higher anr higher in RPM, the valve opens more and more until you are at full throttle and the valve is all the way open.

Not sure if it is on an 03. Its very easy to spot if you take the seat off. Look for pictures. The electric motor on my 01 is mounted right up under the front of the opening covered by the seat. Its a black "box" with a rubber covering on half that comes off.

+1
    PV motors are from 00'-04' 05'+ non-pv.
    The power valves are what those 2 cables connected to the back left side of the motor are hooked to and the reason when you shut the ski off you hear an electrical noise right after as the valves cycle..

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    PV motors are from 00'-04' 05'+ non-pv.
    The power valves are what those 2 cables connected to the back left side of the motor are hooked to and the reason when you shut the ski off you hear an electrical noise right after as the valves cycle..
    So what do they do?? I notice riva have some aftermarket ones how does that improve performance?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thatmrb View Post
    So what do they do?? I notice riva have some aftermarket ones how does that improve performance?
    The power valves change the size of the exhaust valve opening. Think of them as little wedges. When they are closed the exhaust valve opening is smaller. This helps with low rpm acceleration. Once the ski gets up and is on plane and around 6k or so the valves open which makes the exhaust opening larger for more top end.

The aftermarket powervalves are known for being better because they are more durable and less likely to fail. However, the stock powervalves with a set of waveeater clips will do the same job at a much more reasonable price.
    I know of no performance difference between the two setups.
    Doug

Thread Information