Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

99 Polaris Genesis complete rebuild backfiring/popping sound.

I just rebuilt my 99 polaris genesis engine from the ground up. Good used cases, New oem crankshaft, All new top end. It is off the trailer in my garage. It will start right up. I started it a few times but just ran it for 5-10 seconds because i have no water hose hooked up right now until i get a trailer to get it up on. I started it again and gave it some gas and it was popping/backfiring pretty badly when i gave it some gas. I was told the timing will set itself if you are using the same stator, but this clymers manual i have says you should set it when doing a complete rebuild. I dont know where to turn now,i did disconnect all the wires from the electrical box even though i didnt have to but i plugged them back in correctly. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by markdgenesis View Post
    ...popping/backfiring pretty badly when i gave it some gas.

I was told the timing will set itself if you are using the same stator, but this Clymers manual i have says you should set it when doing a complete rebuild.

I dont know where to turn now,i did disconnect all the wires from the electrical box even though i didnt have to but i plugged them back in correctly. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Click below for the Polaris Service Manual.

This is a carburetor engine - correct?

Ignition timing does not 'set itself".

Look in the service manual.

You can check the static timing using the access plug on the flywheel cover, and also check the Hall Effect timing.

How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

You can also check timing using a timing light, once you get the engine running reasonable at 3,000RPM.

Did you change the ignition coil?

Re-check the CDI ignition primary wire colors and Hall Effect sensor wires. Also check that you don't have the spark plug wires mixed up.

On some ignition coil packs, the CEN and PTO coils are swapped in terms of the wire exit positions.

Have a look here;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Click below for the Polaris Service Manual.

This is a carburetor engine - correct?

Ignition timing does not 'set itself".

Look in the service manual.

You can check the static timing using the access plug on the flywheel cover, and also check the Hall Effect timing.

You can also check timing using a timing light, once you get the engine running reasonable at 3,000RPM.

Did you change the ignition coil?

Re-check the CDI ignition primary wire colors and Hall Effect sensor wires. Also check that you don't have the spark plug wires mixed up.

On some ignition coil packs, the CEN and PTO coils are swapped in terms of the wire exit positions.

Have a look here;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine
    Yes it is carbureted. I did not change the cdi. Every wire was color coded so they went back in the same way although i could have just unplugged the wiring harness pack. But it is back to normal. I know nothing about timing. How much would a dealer or shop charge to time the engine correctly?

might help

check your flywheel magnets my ffi did that and i had two magnets loose but not broken replaced flywheel and ran and started fine ..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by drwebb69 View Post
    check your flywheel magnets my ffi did that and i had two magnets loose but not broken replaced flywheel and ran and started fine ..
    Loose flywheel magnets is a problem only on the fuel injected engines, as far as I know.

+1
    ...But it is back to normal.

I know nothing about timing. How much would a dealer or shop charge to time the engine correctly?
    What is back to normal?

To check or adjust the timing would be mostly labor charges. Depends on the shop, I suppose...

What is back to normal?

To check or adjust the timing would be mostly labor charges. Depends on the shop, I suppose...
    Hi, "Back to normal" meaning all color coded wires reconnected and double checked. On my stator the 2-small screws to adjust the timing had a line drawn on them and they were both lined up, The shop i bought the pistons and etc from said i should not have to time it. There were factory timing marks on my flywheel though. And all magnets were fine. I will probably have to take it in but is there anything i can do before to diagnose it more myself to the best of my ability. What about resetting the electrical box? or the digital display? I think i will check spark on all 3 cylinders.

This should have been the first thing i did but i just checked spark and the middle sparkle plug wire is not getting any spark. It seats onto the plug fine like the rest and the plug is fine. Any suggestions? Replace the wire or?

+1
    ...I just checked spark and the middle sparkle plug wire is not getting any spark.

It seats onto the plug fine like the rest and the plug is fine...
    You need to check where the spark is getting lost.

Ohm check the ignition coils, and the spark plug wires.

More info here;

My ohm-meter measurements don't exactly agree with the service manual specifications. Is this OK?

You need to check where the spark is getting lost.

Ohm check the ignition coils, and the spark plug wires.

More info here;

My ohm-meter measurements don't exactly agree with the service manual specifications. Is this OK?
    Someone just told me to take 2 of the wires coming out of the cdi box that connect to a color coded set and swap 2 of them to a different color wire and if i lose spark on a different plug wire then most likely my coil pack is bad, but if i dont lose spark on another plug wire then it is my stator. When i swapped 2 of the wires i got spark on all 3 plug wires, so i guess my stator is bad? I just dumped so much money into this thing(much more than it is worth) and i hope its not the stator. When i bought this the original crankcases were blown apart. How can the stator be bad too? I would like a second opinion on what this guy told me. Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information