Thread: 98 gsxl bogging

98 gts limited bogging

1998 seadoo gts limited bog problem
    Hey every one- I just purchesd 1998 gsxl with 34 hours on it. I took it out today for the 1st time and had this problem.The first 5 minutes the ski ran great no hesitation to 65mph. then for the next 30 mins i couldnt get the ski to turn more than 4000 rpm's before it would start hesitating meaning as soon as I would hit 30mph with full throtle the rpm's with rev to 6500 back to 4000 back to 6500 up and down never traveling faster than 30mph.But if eased into the throttle up to 4000 rpm at 30mph at 1/2 throttle i had no issue.after th half hour I decided to take it to shore for a better look and noticed it was low on oil but not empty,I added oil and went back out but had the same problem,after 5 minutes I decided to head back in to trailer the ski.Just then the ski started to run well and did so for the next 90 minutes with 3 different instances of the same problem but at much higher rpm and speed and only for a second or two.Im guessing that the ski my have been sitting for some time due to the low hours on it , so im thinking old gas.I am new to pwc's and could use some advice and suggestions to what my problem may be,I read a similer post to mine and wonder if the same course of action should be taken(carb hoses fuel filter etc..) and also recomend a good how to book for idiots
    any and all responces are welcome thanks .

You are experiencing a common problem with this model ski, the fuel lines are rotting from the inside and then the dislodged particles are finding their way into the small carby filters and stopping fuel from passing by and into the engine.(Seadoo eventually changed the fuel lines on later models so as not to occur anymore) On a 2 stroke its a very dangerous scenario because it will lean out the fuel air ratio and cause way too much heat in the combustion chamber and you will damage a piston or cylinders quite quickly.The dodgy fuel lines are grey with Tempo printed externally.

Dont run it in this condition.

If it was mine I would remove all the fuel lines ,carbys and fuel selector valve and clean the carby filters at the very least if not a full carby kit through them both.New fuel lines throughout and clean the selector internally. have a look at the fuel filter bowl and the filter inside and clean as well.
    If you dont you will eventually seize the engine and cost you more $$$$
    Dont be fooled their is no other way around this

Thread Information