Thread: Wear ring

Wear ring

I was down the lake at the weekend and must of got a bit close to the edge as I sucked up a small rock, I pulled the ski out straight away and found the rock but when I put the ski back in I deffinately could tell a slight difference with the noise and power. Since then I have removed the pump and noticed some big score marks in the wear ring but the impeller looks ok. I was wondering would it be wise to change the impeller also at this stage from stock to aftermarket ?

+1
    post pics of impeller.

Banned User
    If there is nothing wrong with it, why change it? UNLESS you want to increase your speeds and start the modification game

Quote Originally Posted by Alex13 View Post
    If there is nothing wrong with it, why change it? UNLESS you want to increase your speeds and start the modification game
    be very prepared to live paycheck to paycheck!

the wear ring probably did its job and saved yoru impellar. post some pics. alsok, you can further save money by having your prop reconditioned. IMPROS did a good job on mine after a much worse incident. and Eric at speedfreeks is the God of props. either can help you out and saver you money

There was talk of SS wear rings.

A couple of questions. Is it that much better? Supposedly the tolerances are closer on the plastic ones. Also, how do you remove the SS ones?

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by aklim View Post
    There was talk of SS wear rings.

A couple of questions. Is it that much better? Supposedly the tolerances are closer on the plastic ones. Also, how do you remove the SS ones?
    Don't go SS liner..I just pulled mine and went back OEM, I was eating a prop every year and at $200+ per or $60 to refurbish and then 2 weeks down.. Wear rings are there to protect your ski and prop, with SS liner only the prop will wear and after you spend $$ on pitching the perfect prop, you don't want your ski eating the damn thing.

Don't go SS liner..I just pulled mine and went back OEM, I was eating a prop every year and at $200+ per or $60 to refurbish and then 2 weeks down.. Wear rings are there to protect your ski and prop, with SS liner only the prop will wear and after you spend $$ on pitching the perfect prop, you don't want your ski eating the damn thing.
    Thanx.

So how did you pull the SS liner out anyways? I know the plastic ones you cut but do you do the same with SS or do they have a lip or something? Just curious. I doubt I will do it but the mechanic talked about it and I was curious

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by aklim View Post
    Thanx.

So how did you pull the SS liner out anyways? I know the plastic ones you cut but do you do the same with SS or do they have a lip or something? Just curious. I doubt I will do it but the mechanic talked about it and I was curious
    To remove the OEM style ring you put the pump in the freezer then pop it out from the back with a long screwdriver **note** with the OLD style wear ring the freezer trick is alot easier(wear ring pops in and out with little effort when frozen)

The SS liner~ I personally have never removed one but i'd guess one have to freeze the pump then use a press..But like I said i've never done it personally, so I really don't know.

+1
    To remove the OEM style ring you put the pump in the freezer then pop it out from the back with a long screwdriver **note** with the OLD style wear ring the freezer trick is alot easier(wear ring pops in and out with little effort when frozen)

The SS liner~ I personally have never removed one but i'd guess one have to freeze the pump then use a press..But like I said i've never done it personally, so I really don't know.
    You just said you pulled yours....

Actually, I remember Jerry posting that people were removing them by heating them up a bit and using a big pipe to hold up against the pump shaft housing and then while holding them together with the wear ring side of the pump facing down you bang the pipe on the ground. The shock on the pump created by doing this will cause the wear ring to come out. Kinda hard to expain in writing but I'll try to find the thread that explains it with pics.

Here it is.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...r+ring+removal
    Last edited by speedskixp; 07-29-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added link

+1
    The stock wear ring is meant to protect the Impeller and further things down the line from being affected (things that are more expensive)

I drive RC Nitro Monster trucks (Savages) and learned earlier on how this game and process works. The stock parts on the Savages that take abuse (bumpers, shocks etc) are all made out of flexible plastic. When I first got into the game I thought it would be cool to put on the neat looking aluminum bumpers, control arms, shocks etc and boy did I learn the hard way.

First impact I had it literally tore through the truck since there is no give in the aluminum/titanium parts as there is in the plastic and the impact just reverberated all throughout the truck damaging many components. QUICKLY I realized stock was best.

The trucks also utilize plastic spur gears (main gear that puts the power down) You can find many aftermarket metal ones etc but if something goes amiss then you loose your clutch bell and or transmission.

The plastic spur gears are about 3 bucks. Although the stainless wear rings may seem attractive you have to realize that for them to perform right the conditions have to remain pristine and if not then you loose a prop as well.

This is one piece BRP does RIGHT.

Thread Information