What are the characteristics of a 1050...

So my cousin and I just pulled the entire pump out, driveshaft, etc to see if we could find some reason for the acceleration problem. We read thoroughly on cavitation and causes b/c that is what it sounded like. It would rev real high off the limiter while slowly going and then it seemed once it caught it would get up and go. I read the manual and so we looked at everything and it seemed all be ok. No exhaust trail inside, probably because on this 97 SL1050 the exhaust dumps on the outer right part of hull. The driveshaft and impeller seemed ok as far as splines go. There was enough silicon on everything I couldn't imagine that was it. We did find that where the pump bolted to the intake scoop where the studs go through the hull the hole section with the studs were pulling away leaving at the corner of the tunnel a split on both sides. I thought maybe that was letting air in some how so we repaired the hull with SMC resin and put everything back together.

We took it out last night and in calm water it will get up and go with no slipping on accel. It does however have a similar problem to original where it bounces off the limiter after a 180 turn or just in the ski's own wake. after the spin it will sit there a sec and sound like waaahh wahhh waaahhhhhhhhhhh and then go but like i said it is fine in the smooth water. I was assuming that maybe since it is not a smooth plane there was air getting underneath and finding it's way in through the grate into the pump. Is that likely? Any other ideas? Is that normal for this ski? It does have a longer rideplate.

the other thing is when it is in smooth water and it takes off as it is picking up speed it seems to rev high and bounce off the limiter. Is it normal for this engine to do that?

Any help would be tremendous. thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What impeller part number is in there?

Did you check impeller blade clearance to the wear ring?

What is the condition of the stationary stator blades, and the impeller blades?

Did you check the drive shaft coupler behind the engine, both for spline damage and for failure of the rubber bond to the inner drive ring?

On smooth water when you pin the throttle it just gets up and goes, but does it also bounce off the rev limiter as it is accelerating?

What intake grate is installed?
    Stock or aftermarket?

Did you replace the drive shaft seals in the through-hull bearing assembly?

What maximum sustained RPM are you seeing once you do reach top speed?

Don't know the impeller part number.

I did measuere clearance. after spinning the impeller I checked all three blades and at same point on either blade the clearance allowed a .020" gauge in there. The other sides still allowed the .020" feeler with some force. I just rechecked the manual and it says the limit is .020" but the standard is considerably less at .002-.008" My guess is the pump wear ring is worn on one side and the impeller needs replacement. Please offer opinions on that.

Stationary blades are fine. The impeller blades are slightly chewed but not too bad. See other thread for pics. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99930

We sort of looked at the coupler. Nothing looked burnt on the inside but we weren't sure exactly what to look for. How do we know the condition of the rubber bond to ring? Here was a pick of inside. not the best.

When the throttle is pinned it gets up and goes and bounces off the rev limiter while getting to top speed. that was kind of weird and we didn't know if that was common or not.

We were told it was an aftermarket grate but can't verify.

We didn't replace the through hull seals. doesn't the coupler have to be removed?

Never could get it to top speed b/c we were in a small area and it was raining.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the rubber part of the bonded coupler is slipping while you are accelerating, it will get fairly hot after just a few sprints.

Put your hand on it before and after each acceleration run (with the engine off, of course).

If the metal splines are slipping, it will tend to make a whining sound.

We'll check the cool/hot feeling on the coupler. What do you think about the impeller though? is that clearance acceptable b/c it really isn't that far off. I just wonder why it will accelerate no problem when it is calm but after a spin or through a wake on take it will rev up high and appear to be slipping.

+1
    Check the numbers on the impeller to make sure someone didn't throw some lower pitched impeller in there. Otherwise to me it sounds like the clearance is causing the cavitation. Install a different impeller. That one's shot.

Could it be as simple as when you make the 180 and jump the wake you all are just jumping it out of the water for enough to suck air into the intake grate???? It bounces off the limiter when you do that untill you finally hook back up. Might feel like it is slipping to a new person.

Besides that I had a sort of high rev slip when I sucked up a bread bag. During take off I tried full throttle and it just slipped or felt like it did. I checked the impeller and there was that darn bread bag.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTXC View Post
    Check the numbers on the impeller to make sure someone didn't throw some lower pitched impeller in there. Otherwise to me it sounds like the clearance is causing the cavitation. Install a different impeller. That one's shot.
    do you say it is shot because of the clearance measurements i made or the picture showing the chew marks on the blades? Or possibly the splines.

I was thinking the same thing about the air getting under the ski after a turn. The thing is I wasn't doing anything crazy and the waves weren't big at all. The ski for the most part was in the water all the way through.

+1
    Mostly because of the clearance. You're already at the limit. While the impeller still works, it's not working the best it can and it's more than likely causing your cavitation problems. It's more than likely causing the ski to bounce off the limiter while cruising too because of the clearance. The ski is going to bounce off the limiter in chop regardless of what impeller you have on since the target rpm is 6700 and the limiter is 6800. Stupid setup right from polaris in my opinion. It does get better with a scoop intake grate though to help keep the pump loaded. I would put a 13-24 super slim skat track on there. That's what i ran in my sl 1050.

Thanks all for the opinions. It helps tremendously! Probably won't touch the impeller anymore until season is done.

Thread Information