Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FZR Air Intake

FZR Air Intake

Am looking to open up the FZR's air intake.
    First choice was the Riva Power Filter kit which most seem to talk about. Then I came across the R&D FZR Power Plenum Filter Kit.... which is large, seems well designed and mounts to the OEM intake.

Which is better or are both just as good?

With either I will also remove the restrictive intake ribbon and add the adaptor from either the Riva or R&D .... not looking fwd to this fiddle in tight spots but need to do it.

Also came across the R&D Intercooler CFM kit.... have not heard anything about these on the forum but the advertising material says a 30-35 CFM improvement in the flow of the intercooler. Is this necessary?

Great forum ... so much to read and take in - first yam so its all learning.

Will appreciate any feedback.

+1
    Hey Ed,

The R&D intake and RIVA intakes pretty much do the exact same thing. The RIVA kit is a bit more money but there are a few features that it has that made me go with it. The diameter of the stock intake hose (which the R&D power filter utilizes) is much smaller in diameter than the one supplied in the RIVA kit. Another feature of the RIVA kit is that it effectively moves the filter further to the front of the ski where there is more airflow and away from the very warm engine.

Before I comment about the R&D intercooler CFM kit can you give me some more info? How fast do you wanna go? How far are you planning on going, mod wise?

Reason I ask is becasue if you ever plan on upgrading the entire intercooler unit then I would say the CFM kit is not worth messing with.

I agree with hitman. I bought the Riva intake and intake manifold and man it made a difference. I was only expecting to see little gains by these two items. Man was i wrong it helped me get up and go. Seems like i plain out quicker and i can hear the intake big time and also if i punch it and let off and punch it again i can hear the supercharger better. Man its a def. upgrade u need. My rpms went from 7500 to right at 7800 rpms and my "dreamo" meter says 76 mph. To me it gets there way quicker. THINK LONG THINK WRONG.....just do it.

Thanks hitman

Intended speed…. 73 mph
    My slightly modified RXTX was good for 72 mph

Mods to be done… probably won’t reach the 73
    intake grate and pump seal kit, air intake, intake manifold upgrade, (free flow exhaust – if I have too), and from reading other posts it looks like I will need a new impeller just for these mods.

6 months down the track…. MOTEC with Display unit. For performance and ability to select state of tune. Performance for some fun and then economy when the club I ride with (pwcfun.com.au) has up to 120 mile rides in a day (usually 60 to 75 miles).

Originally added / questioned the R&D intercooler cfm kit as it was only $40 or something like that.

Am leaning toward the R&D intake great and seal kit.
    Am sitting on the fence with the air cleaner... You have valid points on the Riva air filter but the R&D has a huge filter and would have liked to have seen opinions on it from those that fitted it... will probably go the Riva... as FZSupercharged said.. just do it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Eds_FZR View Post
    Intended speed…. 73 mph

Mods to be done… probably won’t reach the 73
    intake grate and pump seal kit, air intake, intake manifold upgrade, (free flow exhaust – if I have too), and from reading other posts it looks like I will need a new impeller just for these mods.

6 months down the track…. MOTEC with Display unit. For performance and ability to select state of tune. Performance for some fun and then economy when the club I ride with (pwcfun.com.au) has up to 120 mile rides in a day (usually 60 to 75 miles).

Originally added / questioned the R&D intercooler cfm kit as it was only $40 or something like that.

Am leaning toward the R&D intake great and seal kit.
    Am sitting on the fence with the air cleaner... You have valid points on the Riva air filter but the R&D has a huge filter and would have liked to have seen opinions on it from those that fitted it... will probably go the Riva... as FZSupercharged said.. just do it.
    I really like my R & D Grate. That was the first mod I did to my ski. Ski sticks to the water better and I couldn't see much if any speed loss.

The general consensus is that the SHO motor needs to be able to breathe. The best thing you could do is read Green Hulk's build of his FZR (then go back to it about five times a day or so like I do). Intake (go with the Riva as the R & D is just a replacement filter and keeps a ton of BS in very valuable real estate) and intake upgrade, FF exhaust seem to be the first necessary mods--personally, I wouldn't sit on the fence with these mods especially if MoTeC is on your mind.

I am looking at a similar speed goal as you (at least for the moment) and I think the above mods to the intake and exhaust (which I have completed as of 1 AM last night) along with a Powershot, impeller and a supercharger wheel will get me and my fat a$$ there.

The intercooler is not that hard to remove and around $40 isn't too bad for the CFM Kit--couldn't hurt. I think the new Riva IC is what I am ultimately going to go with, though.

+1
    If 73 mph is your goal, I would do the R&D C3 supercharger wheel, R&D Powershot Fuel Tuner, and call it a day. That will get you to about 74 and much cheaper than the Motec route. I consider the Motec for those shooting for 75+ on up to 80+.

Again... just my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by Eds_FZR View Post
    Intended speed…. 73 mph
    So you previously owned an RXTX?
    Why the change from a newish Seadoo to a new Yammy?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy Koika View Post
    So you previously owned an RXTX?
    Why the change from a newish Seadoo to a new Yammy?
    some people just naturally get smarter as they grow older

^^^ I took that Pic!^^^ PixxByTango's Avatar
    Autozone Spectre brand air intake. Cost less than $55 for the entire setup. I used their 3" I.D. chrome 60-degree bend piping with their filter right out of the SC inlet tube that was hooked to the factory airbox. Looks sweet and worked great! You can definitely hear the compressor surge now. Custom fabbing a titanium pressure tube now with a BOV out of some Ti tubing we have for a aircraft water system. Its the perfect size and I have several bends to choose from. WOOOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    some people just naturally get smarter as they grow older
    lol, true.

So Ed,
    What is your honest and UNBIASED opinion after owning both ski's?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information