RTX-X grate removal

I'm going to be installing a worx grate on my stock TX. Are the 4 bolts red loctited from factory which would require heat and is there any silicone holding the grate in that will have to be scraped out and replaced or does it just bolt on.
    I dont want to run into problems that will require inserts. Thanks for your help!

i dont know about the x but i dont think it would be different from a non ex model. there should be some solicone or some sort of gasket maker keeping everything sealed up tight.

some one is prolly gonna tell me im a jack ass but when i change my greats i use some permatex black gasket maker. it has worked for me so far and seems comparable to what is caked around a OEM rideplate. as for loctite, i dunno. i hate to use the hard shit on anything i know may have to come off several times. a grate being one of those things

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidryder View Post
    I'm going to be installing a worx grate on my stock TX. Are the 4 bolts red loctited from factory which would require heat and is there any silicone holding the grate in that will have to be scraped out and replaced or does it just bolt on.
    I dont want to run into problems that will require inserts. Thanks for your help!
    With your ski being no older then 08 you should not have problem removing bolts unless they are heavily corroded with salt. Some have broken bolts on older skis trying to remove them, but you should not have any problem. If you feel that there not budging then use heat.

As far is silicone there is not alot of silicone on the mating surfaces. You should be able to pull it off fairly easy once all bolts are removed.

I just changed mine out recently on my rxp...bolts came out without heat..no problem...as for loctite...I would use the blue stuff only(medium)...I used a clear silicone on the grate bolt up plates...and cleaned everything up good before bolting up....single bolt should be torqued at around 19 pounds and the three back bolts should be at around 97 pounds...somewhere in that area anyways

Thanks guys.

+1

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Raventech View Post
    I just changed mine out recently on my rxp...bolts came out without heat..no problem...as for loctite...I would use the blue stuff only(medium)...I used a clear silicone on the grate bolt up plates...and cleaned everything up good before bolting up....single bolt should be torqued at around 19 pounds and the three back bolts should be at around 97 pounds...somewhere in that area anyways

Rapid,

THe forward bolt is around 19 FOOT pounds and the rear are around 92 INCH pounds NOT FOOT pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T screw this up or you will spin the metal insert inside and cause yourself much grief!!!

I don't have my shop manual with me right now, so I cant give you exact torque but im positive the front is ft-lbs and the rear in-lbs.

You'll have no problem getting them loose and Blue Loctite works great - good luck.

This was the easiest and quickest mod I've ever done. bolts came out of my X easy. blue loctite and snug them back up. I was worried about it too, but it was nothing. I'm on the St Lawrence, I see you are in upstate NY also. Where? If you don't have an inch pounds wrench, just snug them good, but don't overtighten.

Utica area. Mostly small lakes like Brantingham and Canadarago Lake. Trying out Piseco this weekend.
    What grate have you guys put in and any inc in MPH over stock? My machine is completely stock and was wondering what to expect w/ the worx grate.

Thread Information