Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What are you guys using between pump and hull?

Tore down the pump on a 1998 SPX so that I could replace the wear ring. I didn't have a neoprene seal... so I used a light bead of caulk. Took it to the river and it still didn't want to hardly move. Plus, it was taking on water. Whole time I'm thinking I must not have sealed it well. (Couldn't tell where water was entering. Did not appear to be around the drive shaft.)

I've now got the pump back apart. Last Wed I ordered a neoprene seal for it through the local dealer. Call him today and he claims the seal has been "dicontinued" and is offering my $6.25 back. (????)

Is it under another part number? Or do you guys just use caulk? Or do you make your own gasket?

If your taking on water. Its not the pump seal. Its your carbon seal

+1
    +1

the carbon ring is shot and not only allowing water in hull, but air into the pump tunnel which is why it is still cavitating.

+1
    go to walmart in the sewing section. they carry art foam with sticky back, it's thin and works fine. trace the pump size onto it and then cut accordingly

use the sticky side againt the hull/pump support plate. it will over time get worn our of you take the pump off & on

TLR

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    also check the lines that come from the pump throught the hull for the water in line and the bailer tubes. I forgot to do that once and about sank my boat

+1
    check your engine mounts. Maybe the carbon seal leaks under accelleration.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    check your engine mounts. Maybe the carbon seal leaks under accelleration.
    not to 1 up your post but your getting at engine alignment right? if thats the case then check that also

+1
    I've had bad engine mounts, that under hard accelleration lets the engine move to one side, and causes massive cavitation, and only leaked water in when it moved out of alignment. easy to check for.

You guys have given me a lot of tips and possible causes. I'm starting to really suspect the Carbon Seal now that I've got the ski back in the garage. The pre-load pressure of the carbon seal is not enough. Matter of fact it does not even touch the slip ring. (I think that is what it is called?) So I bet that is where the water was coming from.

I remember reading somewhere that a spacer could be used between the hull and the rubber boot on the drive shaft. Guess I'll try and make a water tight spacer for it tomorrow night out of my collection of o- rings and gaskets!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKFox View Post
    You guys have given me a lot of tips and possible causes. I'm starting to really suspect the Carbon Seal now that I've got the ski back in the garage. The pre-load pressure of the carbon seal is not enough. Matter of fact it does not even touch the slip ring. (I think that is what it is called?) So I bet that is where the water was coming from.

I remember reading somewhere that a spacer could be used between the hull and the rubber boot on the drive shaft. Guess I'll try and make a water tight spacer for it tomorrow night out of my collection of o- rings and gaskets!
    Loosen the worm clamp on the hull side, and slide the accordian boot toward the SS ring about 1/8". This should make it apply enough pressure. If not, do the same on the carbon ring clamp. And thoroughly inspect the boot for a small split, they normally split underneath where you can't see it.

Also, Armaflex Tape. You can buy a roll at your local HVAC supply house for the same price as one OEM gasket...and make a hundred.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information