Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Still having battery problemsOk

so have had a problem with holding a charge for a couple of seasons. Got a new battery this year...top of the line...and replaced the lr 23 module and has been working well till now

this past weekend on the cottage after riding all day on sat and then heading out on sunday. It wouldnt start on the dock, not enough ppower to start it, let it sit for abit and then it started....no idea whats going on.....how do these things charge the batteries??

help please

What ski? Is the lr 23 module the rectifier? If not check the rectifier. Also check the stator as I believe it has a charge side and a spark side, so it could run, but not charge.
    Corey

sorry slt 780 1996

it started after letting it sit awhile? sounds like a lose connection if anything. lose power cable to the starter? to the magnetic switch? (solenoid). Bad main ground wire from the battery to the engine mount?

Quote Originally Posted by paramuir View Post
    so have had a problem with holding a charge for a couple of seasons. Got a new battery this year...top of the line...and replaced the lr 23 module and has been working well till now

this past weekend on the cottage after riding all day on sat and then heading out on sunday. It wouldnt start on the dock, not enough ppower to start it, let it sit for abit and then it started....no idea whats going on.....how do these things charge the batteries??

help please

hooked up the battery to test it and it was reading low like 10.9 and its brand new, so this would lead me to think that it isnt recharging while on the ski and has just been draining down since i put it in at the start and my solar panel has been enough to keep it going when not in use,

so how do these things charge?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow How the LR module controls battery charging

... so how do these things charge?
    The stator charging coil generates AC voltage, with the AC frequency directly related to engine RPM.
    1200RPM is 120 Hertz (120 AC cycles per second).

As engine RPM rises, both AC frequency and AC voltage rise (but not at the same rates).

The LR module contains an internal rectifier diode (connected to the Yellow wire), a battery voltage monitor (connected to Red/Purple), and a current limiter circuit connected to ground.

When the AC voltage cycle is the same polarity as the battery, the LR module connects the Yellow wire to ground through the current limiter. The stator coil now pumps positive rectified DC current into the battery.

If the resulting battery charging voltage rises above the target charging voltage (about 13.5 to 14.5 volts), the LR module reduces the Yellow wire current flow to ground, thereby weakening the charging current just enough to maintain the desired charging voltage.

The LR module does this process for every positive voltage half cycle of the stator output - 120 times a second at 1200 RPM, and 600 hundred times per second at 6,000RPM.

If the stator coil's AC output is weak, the LR module can not provide more charging voltage than the coil is generating. Weak stator AC voltage can be caused by shorted windings in the stator, shorts or low resistance to ground, damage to the stator or flywheel, or poor connections on the Yellow or Red/Purple stator wires.

The only fix for a weak or shorted stator coil is to replace the stator, or have it repaired or rewound.

If the LR module's grounding is weak, the stator coil can not deliver the full charging current to the battery.

Poor grounds can cause all sorts of problems. The LR module must have a solid electrical connection all the way to the battery negative post.

hmm this sounds like alot of work and not a good thing, just had a stator rebuilt on my snowmobile and i know it wasnt easy to remove guessing this one would be just as hard if not harder,

How long would a fully charged battery work without having the stator charging it again??

i'd take that solar panel with me for sure. dump the stator and run the boat off the panel......!...save some weight too.....!

hmm this sounds like alot of work and not a good thing, just had a stator rebuilt on my snowmobile and i know it wasnt easy to remove guessing this one would be just as hard if not harder,

How long would a fully charged battery work without having the stator charging it again??

would this actually work how much would the panel need to put out....like could i just hoook it up after riding and maintain the battery enough....

also has anyone pulled the stator before...is this hard to do...where is it located and such...as mentioned just did this on my snowmobile this past winter so sort of have an idea about these things

can the stator be pulled while the engine is still in the hull?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information