Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New, not sure what I'm doing

Just thought I would introduce myself, I just got into the jetski world. I got two SL650s and a trailer for free, but I know nothing about jetskis in general. I think they are 94s, I should have the titles in a few weeks so I'll know for sure.
    Neither run as of now, and haven't for quite some time, one was last registered in 04 and one in 00. I have a battery charger on the "better" one now. The other one has the throttle cable loose on the handlebars and I would bet that that was the reason it quit being used.
    I would like to get them both running and maybe even mod one of them a little. I have a pretty expansive mechanical background, I'm just ignorant to 2-strokes and jetskis.
    Sorry for the novel, I'm sure I'll need lots of help and info in the future and I want to thank everyone in advance. If anyone has any tips or suggestions I would like to hear them.
    Carson

Welcome!! There is a lot of great guys here to help you with the 650s. Since the last time the one was registered was 04, it would probably be a good idea to go ahead and buy at least one new battery. It will help to have a good strong battery to start troubleshooting with.

When I try to start it should I have the water hose connected the hole in the side of the rail on top of the cylinders? And if so, what order do I turn the water on/off and start and stop the motor?

Welcome to the hulk. Eager to see how they do when u get the battery charged. I would put a little oil in the first tank (50:1 tcw-3) and maybe even dribble a little oil down the throats of the carb(s) since it hasn't run in a while. Just to be on the safe side. If the motor wasnt fogged there may be a little rust in there somewhere. Good luck there are a lot of awesome and knowledgeable people here to help you out.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click the links below, download the manuals, and follow the links for even more info

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Carsonb

Those skis have sat for a long time. If they weren't fogged properly, they may have some rust on the inside. That would spell disaster for the bearings.

Try removing the spark plugs, and the plastic cover on the engine coupler. Try turning the crank over by hand, by turning the engine coupler.

If you can't spin it freely, there may be some internal issues.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks for all the replies. Those links are and will be helpful. I'll try to turn the shaft and see what I find. Is there any "simple" way to drain the gas and oil out of them?
    I probably won't get a chance to work on them tonight, it's raining here for the first time in about 6 months.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by carsonb View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Those links are and will be helpful. I'll try to turn the shaft and see what I find. Is there any "simple" way to drain the gas and oil out of them?
    I probably won't get a chance to work on them tonight, it's raining here for the first time in about 6 months.
    Ask all the questions you need to. The people here are great!

Sequence is 1)start motor 2)within 10 seconds turn on water 3)turn off water 4)within 10 seconds turn off motor

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by carsonb View Post
    ...Is there any "simple" way to drain the gas and oil out of them?...
    The oil may still be good, unless there is water or dirt in the tank with the oil.

Gas tank can be siphoned out.

You can stick a siphon hose into the filler neck, or connect a siphon hose to the RESERVE (if you have Reserve) or Main fuel hose connection on top of the tank.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information