how to start a 2003 seadoo speedster out of water

i have an 03 black speedster up at my work that might be going for a nice price. I was wondering how you start it out of water. I have a 2001 GPR1200 dose it work like that?

Also do any of you know if there is an hour meter on this boat?

bumpy bump bump

+1
    I dont have alot of knowlege with the speedster but I would think its the same as any of the PWC start the engine put your hose onto the flush point run the engine for a max 5 min then remove the hose before shutting the engine down again. R88

Don't judge the boat by what it does on the trailer. It needs to be under a load in the water to see if the engine runs ok. This will also test for leaks and if the pump cavitates due to a worn weak ring/damaged impetter... Ron

Exactly the same process as a ski for starting up... I agree with King_Of_Fun, however... if at all possible get the boat on the water.

problem is...i cant get it to the water before i buy it... i was cranking the STUFF out of it before i pushed in where the lanyard goes then it fired up. but there was a ton of smoke, was that because of me cranking it / giving it gas, and it wasnt running.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you'll find a water inlet either a the jetpump or on the edge of the engine compartment.

if you can't get it on the water..the price might not be so nice. Eyeball the pump, ask for service records and all the other advice you may have seen before applies.

good deals often aren't as good as first believed

good luck..it's a fun boat

its at my auction....no service records availible.....i probably will be able to get it for around $6,000

I sold my '03 Sportster for $6k two months ago and it was in great condition. I probably could have gotten 6.5 or 7k if I had not been in a hurry.

It's a 2-stroke, hasn't been run in awhile, and you goosed it a bit starting it up, so smoke is to be expected. If you run it on the hose you should be able to get it running without smoke after about 20 seconds if all is well. It will sound like a bucket of rattling rocks, so don't be put off by the noises coming from the pump.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

at least a compression test

pick up a screw in type compression gauge on your way to see this boat, at the least you'll want even compression on both cylinders in the 125-150 range, take a look at the fuel strainer, and be on the lookout for the dreaded tempo fuel lines.

Still without a water test buying that boat is like picking up an automatic pistol out of a strangers nightstand while you're drunk..you could get hurt.

An important point on seadoo boats is the condition of the hand throttles, they are brutally expensive (you wouldn't think they would cost over $500) Make sure they work smoothly and the neutral lockout is operation and not very touchy

Thread Information