Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Newbie - just bought 96& 98 SLTX -suggestions?

Thw wife decided Friday night that we should get jetskis. I figured I'd start looking on craigslist thinking I'd find a deal by fall. I went on Sunday and found a 96 Polaris SLTX (54.5 hours) and 98 Polaris SLTX (32 hours)with tandem trailer. Both are a little faded but started right up. The previous owner put $500 into them last year (carb diaphrams, plugs, etc.).
    He let me have the lot for $1500. Three seaters were a plus as we have 4 kids 6-11 years old.
    I have limited experience even riding jetskis and I thought that this would be a good place to look for hints, tips and suggestions.

+1
    There will be a lot of answers. I recommend going through all of the maintenance tips and doing every one of them. This may avoid any future issues. Also, that trailer looks like it is tired. Boats are as reliable as you make them. Take care of them and they take care of you. Welcome aboard! The people here are the BEST at offering great advice and getting you through any Polaris troubles.

Good luck.

Plrs X45

I've been all over the internet since Sunday night. Of the 2 or three best site this is the only one I've joined so far. I have ordered a service manual that covers both skis and started a grocery list of things to check over. I did have to replace a fuse for the MFD on the 1996. Visually everything looks great (no gray fuel lines, no water in fuel filter etc.). I am doing everything suggested as far as lubrication, etc. Low hours, clean mechanics.
    The trailer is solid 1996, but upstate NY is the rust belt. Bearing Buddies are going on the wheels, webs are replacing the winch ropes and wiring will be checked and replaced as needed. I may sandblast and repaint.

+1
    Sounds like you're on it so far. This is the best site for Polaris. K447 will chime in here soon and he always has great ideas. He also has all the links to the service manuals. Did you grease the zirk (mispelled?) fitting on the driveshaft near the back of the motor?

RizzO
    +1
    Looks like you got A great deal! You will have fun for very little. You are at the right place for the Polaris PWC. The people here are great and will leads you in the right direction, and this is also A great place to find parts for your crafts.

I plan on hitting the zirks when I install the bearing buddies. Both of us (BIL) noticed those right away when we were inspecting the engine compartment.
    I've been hitting all the links and have downloaded available manuals for these machines. I did order new blocks for holding up the hood for both as they were broken. The only other things seen so far are the middle foot pads for the 96 and to repair the gas cap chain. I need to get some quality oil - my brother in law suggested some he has been using in his boats - something silver or silver something, he says to avoid the cheaper oils such as walmart.
    I need to figure out the fogging thing yet.

+1
    fogging is really easy. Speaking of oil, I just got 100% pure synthetic pennziol marine oil for our skiis for $24 gallon. I think it was a good price. If you have a Menards around they actually stock it (I am suprised as well). Synthetic is good because it is smokeless (besides the performance gain of oiling the insides better).

+1
    Where are you located at?

Rochester, NY - on Lake Ontario and just a bit off the fingerlakes!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Seems like you are finding your way around nicely!

You have one blue Fuji engine, and one red domestic engine in those PWC - correct?

You will find some things are very similar between them, and other things are different. Always check which specs or procedures apply to which model, as there are some differences

4 kids - wow. I suggest that you spend some time water testing both machines before you start carrying any passengers. You need to know the machines are working properly, and you need to know how they handle, before adding the complications of passengers.

And I don't mean 30 minutes, I mean a few hours of solo running time on each.

Until you are sure they are reliable, always have another ski or boat handy to tow you back if need be. And know which hose to clamp off before you get towed, to avoid flooding the engine with water.

These machines are only as reliable as the maintenance and care that goes into them. Check everything. Do not assume anything is the way it is supposed to be.

Both machines are now over ten years old, so you need to be thorough.

There is lots of good info here on Green Hulk, and in the links below. Don't limit yourself to the Polaris forum.

There is good info in the other forums here. General Discussions and High Performance Watercraft Safety have good info on best PWC riding practices.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information