Thread: 2000 xp tps

2000 xp tps

Ok guys anyone know how to test the TPS on the 2000 XP?

Here ya go.

you the man pirahna!!!! Which wires do I hook up to the meter? What colr goes to the red meter wire and what color goes to teh black meter wire?

Well It says not to take the switch apart, but mine was being a real POS and it was hanging up in the switch box. So I cut an end off the box and inside I found a slider the had the cables hooked to it and a Magnet embedded in the slider. I took the cables off and ran the slider up and down in the switch box and it had some pretty bad clearance and it was hard to move up or down, so I shaved the bottom of the slider, not the magnet side, tried it a couple of times and it slid freely after some small adjustment. The switch box must have had some sort of distortion. I used the old solder gun and melted the end back on the box and put her back in the ski. Left the switch disconnected and started the ski gave it a little gas and it bogged really badly. Killed the motor plugged in the TPS and started her up gave it a couple of rips and she screamed. So I figure it must be working, but will check the volts anyway and adjust what I need. By the way the diagram is a total misrepresentation there is no turning switch as it indicates.

I have repaired two of these now and found that the problem with mine were that the magnet was corroded or rusty.. Possibly magnetized steel ... I replaced that magnet in one and the other simply cleaned up. The box they are incased in did not appear to be water tight. It comes apart easily enough with a flat screw driver. Just sealed it back with a epoxy when through, after testing as above to make sure it worked.. Neither of mine were the electrical part having issues. I just wanted to throw this out there, it may save you a few bucks.

+1
    Hi,

My 2000 XP TPS does not look like the one shown in the image... Mine forms part of the cable splitter unit...

Mine only fives the 0V for a VERY short period... Is that fine?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gearheadstik View Post
    I have repaired two of these now and found that the problem with mine were that the magnet was corroded or rusty.. Possibly magnetized steel ... I replaced that magnet in one and the other simply cleaned up. The box they are incased in did not appear to be water tight. It comes apart easily enough with a flat screw driver. Just sealed it back with a epoxy when through, after testing as above to make sure it worked.. Neither of mine were the electrical part having issues. I just wanted to throw this out there, it may save you a few bucks.

What magnet did you use to replace it with ?

Thread Information