Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Air venting for a turbo??

Was out today testing...
    (mods in the sig)

I found that with my seat fully on i couldnt get more than 12psi... the gauge would actually flutter a tad when its normally stable..

taking the seat off, with same boost settings, when squeezing the throttle to WOT, My boost spiked to at least 18 and I hit my rev limiter within a blink of an eye. So I dialed down the boost and left the seat on for all of my testing runs..

OH and there was a noticeable difference in my EGTS (150+ degrees)with seat on vs off.

So Im thinking i need more air, probably alot more air.. will a few sets of flo rites meet my needs or should i look into something else???

What seems to be the latest thing that gets the job done?? thanks guys

Air ventilation with a blower and add some more flow-Rite, try an open loop kit and exhaust manifold extension from the on-line store to cool down your motor and compartment.

+1
    Mate i have had the same problem with lastest turbo.

I had

# 4 flowrites down each side of the cowling. Total of 8 florites!!

# Put a spacer to have a 1 inch gap between the cowling and hull

# High flow hood from Riva

# 4 inch bilge blower that moves 230 CFM

And all this was still not enough.

Im only seeing 16.5 PSI with the seat on.

I take the seat off and was seeing 25 PSI at the same wastegate setting!!

Also drilling more holes in the cowling didnt make any difference!

I dont really see a solution to this at the moment.

Any one else experienced this?

+1
    wow.. you know i got two words if that wasnt enough...

water / alcohol injection

+1
    You could get 1 of the light wieght seats that have ventilation in the back of them they let in lots of air. Alot of the GP racers in UK are running them also you could go with a light wieght hood and put a cover in where the bucket goes with a ventilation tube.

here's what I did i used the kanaflex tubing from my old setup took it and routed the tube to right where the opening in the front of the seat is the rounded end triangle open. i dont do crazy riding so as not to allow water to go into the tubing and into the turbos intake but im working on a channel to funnel any water that may get into the opening away from the inlet i will take some pics tonight if anyone would like some. Im also used Jammers great idea to allow a little ram air in the front and like i said in his thread when i let my g/f drive i felt behind the seat and there was a significant amount of hot air coming out. I'll try almost anything at least once and he had a great idea with it. Just my 2cent.

+1
    Check out the engine cover on RXP behind the PX. He went a little crazy with the hole saw. Click twice to enlarge picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6210002.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	143988  

+1
    maybe utilizing the blower to blow out air from the hull as the cooler outside air comes through the florites. hook the kana flex up to the blower and direct the hot air out the back maybe or use the riva hood intake in reverse as hull exhaust?

+1
    nahhhh, exhaust the hull out the rear, force more air in the front, and let more out at the back.
    keep the intake up front where the air is cooler, trick is to flow enough air so theres plenty of extra to feed the intake AND force hot air out the back.
    imho once you are goin turbo, you are building a ski for speed not for stayin dry in the rough water, so big holes in the front and big holes in the back.
    one of these days someone is gonna put a real ram air intake on the front to force tons of air into the hull, at 70-80 mph it doesnt even have to be huge.
    and if done right with an electric bilge pump it will be a good setup.
    with seats off, airflow isnt a problem, just have to get that much air into the front and out the back, with the seats on seats off dont have any ram potential, a scoop in front could be alot smaller and still feed the same amount of air to the hull, as seats of does.
    in theory the faster you go the better the ram effect/cooling and boosting, imagine positive pressure inside the hull instead of negative, and fresh cool air too!!

Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    nahhhh, exhaust the hull out the rear, force more air in the front, and let more out at the back.
    keep the intake up front where the air is cooler, trick is to flow enough air so theres plenty of extra to feed the intake AND force hot air out the back.
    imho once you are goin turbo, you are building a ski for speed not for stayin dry in the rough water, so big holes in the front and big holes in the back.
    one of these days someone is gonna put a real ram air intake on the front to force tons of air into the hull, at 70-80 mph it doesnt even have to be huge.
    and if done right with an electric bilge pump it will be a good setup.
    with seats off, airflow isnt a problem, just have to get that much air into the front and out the back, with the seats on seats off dont have any ram potential, a scoop in front could be alot smaller and still feed the same amount of air to the hull, as seats of does.
    in theory the faster you go the better the ram effect/cooling and boosting, imagine positive pressure inside the hull instead of negative, and fresh cool air too!!
    You been reading a lot of my post ...huh ? well said Alex you should see my new rear hot air exhaust comming soon almost like riding with the seat off........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information