Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar

Electrical issues... This hobby is getting to me!

Ok, in a summary of words, I was on vacation, as some of you know, I have a brand new engine on my waverunner, less than 15 hours on it & on the last day of my vacation I go out wiht a group of friends to Alligator Reef (look it up, its gorgeous). We go there every year. It's about 3 miles out from shore. I'm very confident about my waverunner & it's condition. I reach my destination, enjoy about 2 hours of snorkling then decide to ride around the reef just for fun, see others snorkling, etc... I start the ski, no problem, enjoy the ride, come back close to my friends & family, my dad asks me to get close to the boat so he can hop on. I reach the boat, turn off the ski, he gets on, I hit the button....... NOTHING! I try again........ NOTHING! Once more, why not right? BUZZZZZZ, BUZZZZZZ, BUZZZZZZ! Ofcourse, at this point, @#$%^& *(*&^ %$#$% ^&%$ is coming out of my mouth. I'm frustrated. I just spent $2,300 on my ski+trailer in May & this is how this darn thing pays me back?!?!?!?!? I'm towed into shore, when I'm in the canal, my friend comes in too fast &* I ram a freakin boat right on the motor! YES, there went my plastic cowl. I swallow my words at this point because there are more ppl around, lol... I try starting it again......... NOTHING! I pull it out of the water, bring out my battery booster, connected the water hose & it cranked right up. I blamed the battery.
    I took the waverunner 5 days later to my mechanic which warrantee's the battery. He tested it & it tested fine. He said; "Have you tried starting it?" I said no, why? As soon as I ran it on the hose that day, when I turned it off, it didnt start back up. He says; "Try it!" The F***ker started right up! So he mentions to me taht it's the selenoid! Freakin Selenoid! Wait, it gets better, he tells me he recommends I carry an extra selenoid around because they fail frequenly.
    I was shocked, WTF?!?!?!? In the middle of the ocean, if my selenoid fails again I have to take apart that box, somehow pray that no screws fall into the hull or worst in the water, replace the selenoid, then put it all back together, might as well carry around an extra set of heads, starter, stator & while I'm at it, might as well, put a piston in my pocket just in case. Sorry guys, just venting. I think I've had enough of this hobby. I'm in the ocean 10 times then something breaks down, go back out 7, break down, go back out 9, break down... tired of this cycle.
    My friend Danny has given up on this too. His XLT started bogging NASTY on his 2nd day of vacation. We couldn't find the problem, especially after his carbs were rebuilt about 9 engine hours ago. His XLT is already forsale on Craigslist. As for me? I'm undecided. Now I have no one to ride with so I'm more inclined towards selling mine too. I'm waiting until end of August to make my desicion. Thanks for allowing me to vent to all of you. ... I'm taking 3 of these a day & I'll write back to you in the morning! lol.

Damn thats bad luck,but look on the bright side,it's happened to many and we carry on,i was in the same situation,turned my ski off out at sea to take a passenger and no start!!Gale force9 conditions,i had to jump off my ski,hook the tow rope on and get dragged in at 100mph(thanks rob)because of outgoing tide!Bendix had seized up,and if i had to carry spare pistons around with me,i wouldn't have had enough pockets for the amount i've been through!Ski's were put on this earth to test our patience and reward us accordingly,i even had mine up for sale but was talked out of it by a very good member on here and to be honest,it was the best thing i ever did!

Sorry to hear that these Engines break you have to pay to play I never thought My 2004xlt would fail at 55 hours but it did and I was pissed, bad crank and #3 cylinder and piston were toast so I parked it but 2 weeks went by and I started getting parts to get it fixed it was expensive but what hobby isnt. Ron

Quote Originally Posted by zx11rider View Post
    Sorry to hear that these Engines break you have to pay to play.................. it was expensive but what hobby isnt. Ron
    I think I have 2 issues here then.

1. I use the buddy system & thank god I do because these things break down so often that it should be mandatory, the problem is that most of my friends have sold their skis. Two left, one wants nothing to do with them anymore + he's buying a house, needs the money & my other friend has a boat aside from his FX so he NEVER & I mean NEVER takes out his ski. I pratically beg him to go out on his waverunner so we can both ride & he always says no, he's busy or yeah sure but I'm going on the boat. Kinda sucks!!!
    2. I have another hobby which is VERY expensive as well. I just purchased a Lincoln Mark VIII with a Mustang Cobra engine. Car is solid but needs a whole lot of interior work. Can't spend my cash on both hobbies at the same time. I see constant rewarding from the car as I'm able to drive it almost daily & don't have to depend on friends to drive it either.

+1
    im not really superstitous but everytime i go to the keys i break down wether its on the way or in the ocean.. i've stayed away from that place and havent had any problems (fingers crossed lol)

It's true regardless of the size - a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into. An old friend of mine (a Pearl Harbor survivor and Coast Guard auxiliary at our lake) made me a sign to hang at my boat slip years ago: "If you aspire to a life of poverty, aggravation, and frustration - buy a boat!" The main reason I left my ski sitting in the slip for over 4 years (along with the boat, which I also used only a handful of times) after it stranded me out in the lake was because I was just done with it all. I didn't even bother trying to crank it over again. Now I'm restoring the ski (and the boat) and trying to get to the lake every weekend again. Give yourself a break for a while (years if necessary), store it or sell it, and if you really love the water and the sport you'll be back eventually.

Good luck - that's a gorgeous ski and if I had the spare change lying around I'd be the first to make you an offer. Unfortunately, I already threw it away on my own money pits!

Quote Originally Posted by Martimouse2 View Post
    It's true regardless of the size - a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into. An old friend of mine (a Pearl Harbor survivor and Coast Guard auxiliary at our lake) made me a sign to hang at my boat slip years ago: "If you aspire to a life of poverty, aggravation, and frustration - buy a boat!" The main reason I left my ski sitting in the slip for over 4 years (along with the boat, which I also used only a handful of times) after it stranded me out in the lake was because I was just done with it all. I didn't even bother trying to crank it over again. Now I'm restoring the ski (and the boat) and trying to get to the lake every weekend again. Give yourself a break for a while (years if necessary), store it or sell it, and if you really love the water and the sport you'll be back eventually.

Good luck - that's a gorgeous ski and if I had the spare change lying around I'd be the first to make you an offer. Unfortunately, I already threw it away on my own money pits!
    +1 on all of the above man! My dad's a commercial fisherman & I've been in/around the ocean since age 4. I know the feeling. I think I've made up my mind to let go of this hobby. I spent 2 years away from it when I blew the engine. Came back ALL NEW as seen in the pictures with a whole new look and attitude & this happens. Like I said when I was being towed in... "I'M DONE!" I like a hobby that I can enjoy daily or every couple days. A waverunner isn't something I can enjoy daily unless I want to pay $15.00 at the ramp + $30.00 in fuel EACH time I go out here in Miami. I rather put in the money into my cars. I've wanted a supercharger on my MarkVIII for a while now. I could sure use one!

+1

frustrated

LISTEN! skiing is 70% riding and about 30% wrenching ,it can be very challenging but rewarding!DON,T GIVE UP! having problems and taking the proper "attack" to remedy the problems is what this forum is all about.your fighting the enviorment (salt water,engine wear etc.)WE ALL GO THRU THIS! hey listen, a man hits a little white ball into a hole, then moves on to another and another,i would rather be sinking in the middle of the ocean than do that would'nt you! NOTHING GREATER THAN RIDING ON TOP OF THE WATER! IMO.
    071300 GPR
    r&d rideplate(ir mod 1 resurfacing)
    riva top load 1200 intake
    riva pump shoe seal
    riva ff exchaust(annoy the neighbors)
    leos holeshot(no stern holes)
    skat trak 13/19 r 155 swirl
    tunnel reinforcement(self made)
    stepped up sponsons
    lubri bond -a
    COMING SOON-ir jetworks holeshot kit- 87mm drop nozzle, riva power air filter

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PWCManiac View Post
    Like I said when I was being towed in... "I'M DONE!" I like a hobby that I can enjoy daily or every couple days. I've wanted a supercharger on my MarkVIII for a while now. I could sure use one!
    FORD = fix or repair daily lol

racing cars can get expensive too but w.e you do good luck and just enjoy it

+1

no more hobby

JUST FIX THIS ONE AND STOP CRYING( take it to a pwc mechanic if you have to) or i'll tell you "TO GO HOME AND YOUR SHINEBOX!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information