Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

oil pump failure!

Has anyone had or actually seen an injection pump fail? The pump itself?

+1
    No. Never.

These pumps are extremely reliable. They have been used on millions of motorcycles for decades.

The problem is that the lines between the pump and the carbs fall off because they aren't secured properly. Also, they get brittle and crack with age.

Oil pumps have gotten a bad rap at sites like this for no reason. The pumps are NOT the problem! It's the lines.

If you make line inspection/replacement part of your routine maintenance, you won't have a problem.

Would you trust a used pump or can I find a new one?......

+1
    Try the ads here, or Ebay, or here: http://www.jetkingparts.com/

+1
    what ski?

I have a pump for the 750 series you can have if you pay shipping

+1
    Block it off and use premix.

Quote Originally Posted by richte18 View Post
    Block it off and use premix.
    OK the question was "have you ever seen an injection pump fail?" read the whole thread before you reply.

I was just curious...it is already blocked off!

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    No. Never.

These pumps are extremely reliable. They have been used on millions of motorcycles for decades.

The problem is that the lines between the pump and the carbs fall off because they aren't secured properly. Also, they get brittle and crack with age.

Oil pumps have gotten a bad rap at sites like this for no reason. The pumps are NOT the problem! It's the lines.

If you make line inspection/replacement part of your routine maintenance, you won't have a problem.

once on pw 80 from yamaha ... took it 15 years... ad uhhhh my kind of riding.

I have seen a few pumps fail on the kawasaki. I would not trust the pump after about 5+ years. I have seen them last a lot longer but on personal stuff I wouldnt take the chance.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska View Post
    I have seen a few pumps fail on the kawasaki. I would not trust the pump after about 5+ years. I have seen them last a lot longer but on personal stuff I wouldnt take the chance.
    What caused it to fail?in 25+yrs of PWC repair The only oil pump I have seen bad on a kawasaki was when the owner broke the back off of it when installing it ,by not lining up the slot,I have seen oil lines get brittle and weep(white engined seadoos from the paint overspray)I have seen the outer covers get brittle and the inner oil line shrink on yamaha 1200 triple (mostly the ones with the cat. converter) however I also ran 6 to 8 kawasakis starting with the ts650 and xi 750 twins in 1992 by 95 some of the engines had over 900hrs,1000hrs etc.,turned over,engines full of H20,oil pump failure?NOPE!compression weak ,NOPE! I know in my heart that most of older kawasaki twins and yamaha twins would be running fine today,if they had been run on clean fresh fuel, NOT run out of oil,etc.YEs I did install the new oil pumps when engines were rebuilt on 3 of them before selling them,(mostly body damage was cause of failures)BUT NEVER once did I see an oil pump inself fail even on the 1,000+ hr machine it was very loose and easy to spin,but it still pumped!JMHO>Marvin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information