Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    XP NUT
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    9

    800 XP Rebuild Need Some Help!

    OK, been building 2 strokes for years, first ski motor. Couple of questions here. Have the jugs at the machine shop, I plan to make the adjustments to the rave, ordered a new crank shaft once I learned noone local had a jig to re-assemble the crank, so have a good crank with bad bearings and cannot do anything with it. Here is where the questions start, counterbalancer, pulled the bearings today, 2 seals inside the two counterweights, can I pull off the counterbalancer and replace these 2 seals? Machine shop is scared to try. Oils resivour ??? No oil when dis-assembled. Am I insane is it really a better idea to have a shop mail me one and I mail them this one back? Where can I find more information since this seadoo manual is on a 8th grade level and they keep telling me to send parts to a machine shop. So to sum it up, oil seals on counter balancer replacement, rave machining, peice together crank. And resivour. Help.


  2. #2
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,361
    Oil seals replace for sure. Just make sure you make a jig to locate the c/b weight/gear exactly where it was before you pulled it.

    RAVE machining depends on how much larger the pistons are over stock. If memory serves me correctly, you want .010" clearance between the piston and blade when in cylinder. I shouldn't need attention unless bigger than .050" overbore.

    Crank? Just buy a good reman. Rotax makes one, OEM parts.

    RV shaft cavity? Just reseal your case halves with Three Bond 1211 or Hondabond, then this area will never leak. ake sure you replace the RV shaft seal too, as insurance.

    Welcome to GH!

  3. #3
    yep AA
    do the balance shaft one end at a time, when pressing apart the geared end support the middle to keep it square to the press, so don't press from the gear, I used to chisel a mark across the weight and shaft for alignment, but if you do one at a time its pretty easy to align. it might be a pain without the right gear but give it a pressure test when finished both rotary shaft cavity and the engine

  4. #4
    Pro-pulsion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    135
    I'm in the same boat, good crank, crap bearings and seals. Since the cost of a brand new one (Hot Rods brand) is only about 200 more than a reman crank, I'm thinking about going new. For you guys in the U.S. that 800 Hot Rods crank is only 506 bucks. It's a bit more for me with the border exchange and shipping but probably a lot more worth it than having an OEM crank in there. Yours is the third one I've heard of and/or experienced in the last 6 months with a failed crank now.

    After all the time and serious coin I've dumped into this ski of mine, and it's purely stock aside from flame arrestors and impeller, I've totally lost trust in this brand which is why I'm going to look elsewhere in the aftermarket for parts from now on. The other sad note is that it is getting pretty hard to find OEM parts for these skis anymore unless you buy used. If I'm wrong about that I would really appreciate some websites that offer tons of aftermarket goodies for these skis. Mine is a 96, I bought it based on the reputation of how great they were supposed to be but I'm regretting it big time now

  5. #5
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro-pulsion View Post
    I'm in the same boat, good crank, crap bearings and seals. Since the cost of a brand new one (Hot Rods brand) is only about 200 more than a reman crank, I'm thinking about going new. For you guys in the U.S. that 800 Hot Rods crank is only 506 bucks. It's a bit more for me with the border exchange and shipping but probably a lot more worth it than having an OEM crank in there. Yours is the third one I've heard of and/or experienced in the last 6 months with a failed crank now.

    After all the time and serious coin I've dumped into this ski of mine, and it's purely stock aside from flame arrestors and impeller, I've totally lost trust in this brand which is why I'm going to look elsewhere in the aftermarket for parts from now on. The other sad note is that it is getting pretty hard to find OEM parts for these skis anymore unless you buy used. If I'm wrong about that I would really appreciate some websites that offer tons of aftermarket goodies for these skis. Mine is a 96, I bought it based on the reputation they were supposed to have but I'm regretting it big time now
    Buying used is a roll of the dice. Very seldom do you ever find a ski that has been properly maintained. You are a victim of that. Get the bugs out, and you will have a reliable ski, because you made it like it was new again. Consider a Rotax Reman short block too, all new OEM parts, new sleeves, and stock pistons.

  6. #6
    Pro-pulsion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    135
    Any ideas where I could get it? I've talked to the dealers around here about it regarding the OEM reman crank and a small range of other parts, but they both told me everything for that ski aside from things like exhaust bellows, starter parts and a few engine parts are all NLA. They also told me that they hope I never need anything electrical because it's all NLA too...besides the starter brush kits.

  7. #7
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro-pulsion View Post
    Any ideas where I could get it? I've talked to the dealers around here about it regarding the OEM reman crank and a small range of other parts, but they both told me everything for that ski aside from things like exhaust bellows, starter parts and a few engine parts are all NLA. They also told me that they hope I never need anything electrical because it's all NLA too...besides the starter brush kits.
    Hmm...have you tried pricing one to the left? Right below links? I didn't know they discontinued them. If they aren't here on the site let me know, I can give you a few dealers that probably still have some.

  8. #8
    Pro-pulsion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    135
    Yeah, I guess when the skis turn 11 they discontinue parts production. I haven't checked with the links on the side but the other thing for me is the cost of U.S. shipping to Canada. I have one particular aftermarket supplier I deal with a lot and they have been outstanding for quality of service and efficient shipment. They have the crank I'm considering and a complete rebuild parts inventory. Right now I have no affordability for a couple of reasons, reduced working hours due to the recession, fuel going through the roof every 4 days when I drive a gas pig...and a few very much needed repairs to said gas pig lol. But I'll keep you in mind when I am ready to rebuild if I need anything specific that I can't get through where I typically deal with. Thanks for the input 96, you're a stand up kinda guy

  9. #9
    96XPSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Posts
    4,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro-pulsion View Post
    Yeah, I guess when the skis turn 11 they discontinue parts production. I haven't checked with the links on the side but the other thing for me is the cost of U.S. shipping to Canada. I have one particular aftermarket supplier I deal with a lot and they have been outstanding for quality of service and efficient shipment. They have the crank I'm considering and a complete rebuild parts inventory. Right now I have no affordability for a couple of reasons, reduced working hours due to the recession, fuel going through the roof every 4 days when I drive a gas pig...and a few very much needed repairs to said gas pig lol. But I'll keep you in mind when I am ready to rebuild if I need anything specific that I can't get through where I typically deal with. Thanks for the input 96, you're a stand up kinda guy
    Anytime man! I own a standup too... I have a bud that lives your way...PM 785XP to see if he can hook you up too.

  10. #10
    Pro-pulsion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    135
    Awesome, thanks...I hope he's close lol. My last freeride event for my stand-up was a 6 hour drive only to find my ski wouldn't stay running without help from the choke lol. I just picked up a carb kit for it yesterday. If he's closer than 6 hours it would be awesome to get a few more of us out on a ride sometime. If you're willing to make the trip you're welcome too, we have a 65 acre lot for camping out on and we're not more than 20 minutes away from tons of fresh water north lakes that feed into other lakes. Makes for a great scenic touring event. Plus we have Lake Ontario for some bigger wave action...providing it ever warms up and brings in the big ones lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. I need some help. 96 xp 800
    By SteveHuffman in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 10:15 PM
  2. 1999 Genesis engine rebuild (need some tips and help)
    By markdgenesis in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 04:50 PM
  3. Need some help... 97 XP.. starting issues...
    By midnight08 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 12:19 PM
  4. Need some help with my 97 XP
    By midnight08 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-27-2009, 07:51 PM
  5. Just bought a pair of XP's.. 97XP and 98XPL. need some help
    By midnight08 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 07:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •