help with vx110 deluxe

I am looking at buying 2 2005 vx110 waverunners and have a few questions before I buy them. one has 100 hrs and the other 85hrs

They are both leaking water from the metal plate that the shaft goes through. Not by the shaft but on the outside of the metal plate where their is some type of epoxy squeezed out between the fiberglass and the plate. Is this a easy fix or should I run. If I do decide to get them and fix it what all should I replace while I have everything torn down.

One other thing one is faster than the other. will run 52 and the other 46 what could this be. Thanks for any help.

+1
    I dont know about the epoxy stuff, but the top speed should be about 52 on gps. The speedo should bounce from 54 to 55 on flat water. At least thats how mine is.

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    How much is the price for both?

Let me tell you up front that I am not by any means experienced.

We have the same ski that is doing the same thing. We love the ski - it is not super fast, but it is good to pull the kids on floats and wakeboard. Love the platform on the back.

We had this problem 2 years ago when it was under warranty - Yamaha fixed it (we thought). Problem started again this year. It is the seal where the shaft enters hull. There are 3 screws and one of them was stripped and Yamaha just siliconed it in. Vibrations ended up breaking seal again. We tried to 5200 all the way around to seal it back but that didn't work - it helped some. It doesn't leak when running just when sitting in water, so we try to keep the back end out of water when not running it.

I talked to local repair shop and they wanted $600 to repair. We decided to do it ourself - will do it this winter. May or may not have to pull motor - have had different opinions. Someone told us we might be able to just push the motor forward enough to get to it.

I have heard that the 05's being the first of that style had a lot of problems. We bought ours from a rental company - it didn't have a lot of hours (for a rental) because it had a lot of time in the shop. In fact, the rental owner even got Yamaha to extend his warranty because of the amount of time the skiis stayed in the shop. He gave us a copy of the letter Yamaha sent him. Maintenance records showed the ski we got had basically a new motor after all of the work had been done - basically, all of the bugs had been fixed.

We were told that we should sell ours if is is running - but we figured that most of the problems have been fixed so we kept it and have been happy - got a really good deal on it.

Hope this helps you.
    CeCe

just a suggestion maybe look into stepping up to the FX or FXHO which will give you a good bit more power and still great for towing and the FX's didnt seem to have some of those issues like the VX's did and there are some good prices on these ski's out there now too, cause alot of those folks are now movin on to the SHO's

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine_n_pc View Post
    Let me tell you up front that I am not by any means experienced.

We have the same ski that is doing the same thing. We love the ski - it is not super fast, but it is good to pull the kids on floats and wakeboard. Love the platform on the back.

We had this problem 2 years ago when it was under warranty - Yamaha fixed it (we thought). Problem started again this year. It is the seal where the shaft enters hull. There are 3 screws and one of them was stripped and Yamaha just siliconed it in. Vibrations ended up breaking seal again. We tried to 5200 all the way around to seal it back but that didn't work - it helped some. It doesn't leak when running just when sitting in water, so we try to keep the back end out of water when not running it.

I talked to local repair shop and they wanted $600 to repair. We decided to do it ourself - will do it this winter. May or may not have to pull motor - have had different opinions. Someone told us we might be able to just push the motor forward enough to get to it.

I have heard that the 05's being the first of that style had a lot of problems. We bought ours from a rental company - it didn't have a lot of hours (for a rental) because it had a lot of time in the shop. In fact, the rental owner even got Yamaha to extend his warranty because of the amount of time the skiis stayed in the shop. He gave us a copy of the letter Yamaha sent him. Maintenance records showed the ski we got had basically a new motor after all of the work had been done - basically, all of the bugs had been fixed.

We were told that we should sell ours if is is running - but we figured that most of the problems have been fixed so we kept it and have been happy - got a really good deal on it.

Hope this helps you.
    CeCe
    Most Yamahas' have some type of water accumulation in the bottom of the hull. I have have a 05' VX and noticed from at times it seemed a little to much water in the hull. So instead on relying on on the vaccum siphon,
    I went with a Rule automatic bilge. All the other Yamahas have the automatic powered bilge. If you ride in rough conditions an automatic bilge pump is a must. Why Yamaha decided to save a few bucks on trying to get away with a vaccum set-up is beyond me.

+1
    make sure you silicone it good or it will keep happening

Thread Information