Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another replacement grip with QSTS thread!

Ok so the way i have gone about it before i came accross this site, is to install renthal quad bike grips on the bars with the QSTS cut off at the point where the grip meets the moulded rubber which goes up and around the lever.

This means that becasue i have a regular grip AND then the Small QSTS, i have moved everything along the bars and the OEM centre cover for the bars doesnt fit. What do you guys suggest?

I dont like having the QSTS in the grip to be honest.

if you are just replacing the grips, why did you shift everything in? You shouldnt have moved anything.

I like the trim system myself. makes a great tool if you know how to use it.

The reason i moved things in is because i wanted a full size grip on the left hand side. Not just 3/4 and then the QSTS.

Its not too nice having your hand on the QSTS.

then you need to put a filler in. search for the thread in 2 stroke on installing aftermarket handlebars. you cant just push everything in and expect the cover to fit. You will see creative ways to get the results your looking for. how did you overcome the difference of about 40mm between the QSTS and your new grip? did you just let it float for the last 40mm without putting a spacer in to fill the void?

If it were me, and I wanted a full size grip like you are looking for, I would take a solid piece of nylon dowel, I have seen on here the use of a hardwood dowel. I would get the same OD as the QSTS, and get creative I would probably use marine grease, long machine screw, and a bit of dremel work and a drill, to get it the way I need.

Dogger thanks for the help!

I like the idea of extending the bar out with a dowel but then you would end up with one side of the bars longer than the other. If you extended both sided with dowels you may as well buy new wider bars!

I dont think you understand what i have done with my QSTS, i have actually cut right through it leaving me with just the first inch or so that has the lever in etc. I was just going to fit this independantly further along the bars after i had fitted my full grip.

Thanks for your help, might need some more though

why not just go to aftermarket bars and make it easy. I have an extra set of pro taper bars, already prepped for the trim system. I just took them off my gpr.

on another note. do you have 2 different inner diameter grips? I dont understand why you would cut your trim tube unless you are trying to use a 7/8 ID grip on the left side so you cut the trim tube back to allow for the full size grip.

can you post a pic of what you have done?

I don't think that pro tapers will work on the fz series. the bars are shaped like a v where they connect. its not straight like the fx bars are.

didnt know it was an FZ. I want to get rid of the stock bars, so bulky with the shroud. Why would yamaha do that?

Guys i have an FX140........

Dogger, Yes i am using atv grips so 7/8" both sides. Coming from Motocross i like having fixed left grip. So what im trying to have is both grips fixed throttle obviously on the right, then another fixed grip on the left with the seperate rotating trim section and the run/kill switch.

I'm going to use some black ProTaper SE's and Renthal Dual Compound grips.

I want to keep it factory looking so trying to use the original centre cover.

I kinda figured. How about keeping your trim as you have it and relocating your kill switch to the other side, or even mount it somewhere else. That would take care of the space too. With the pro taper bars, you can look for a nice wide width to give you more parallel surface to work with as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information