Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Blow By and Catch Can

OK, this is driving me nuts....After a good day of riding I empty about 2 tablespoons of blow by from my catch can. Has a very light brown color, very very thin, and smells like pure gasoline. That amount is not the issue because I don't think that is much, or is it? The thing is that there is still blow by spray coming out from all areas of the catch can like the filter on top and the bottom where I drain it from (leaking). Is this because it is so diluted that it will come out or spray out of any available air outlet? The filter on top of the catch can is soaked. Oh, and I am not losing any oil at all. It never changes from the amount on the dipstick....
    Last edited by Red Devil; 08-06-2006 at 12:51 PM.

+1
    I have a slight smoke that comes out...And I notice a slight bit of "oil dampness" not much at all....Very little oil blowby on my end...

Jay - I get a lot of smoke, but very little oil. 2 teaspoons isn't much imo. I have not had any measurable oil in the last 10 hours of riding. However, when I do have to empty it, it is a very watered down oil/water mixture like yours.

One recommendation: make sure you route the catch can far away and way above the motor. Try to mount it way up front if possible. The oil spray could be clogging the filter and actually blocking or corking up the crank case.

You should remove the filter and flush it from time to time anyhow.

Brendan

Am I missing something in everyday maitenence of my ski? I unplug those holes on ramp, hit bilge to keep hull empty and leave holes open to dry out hull. Should I be doing something else with the can and blowby? Sorry, I just don't know.

Nevermind I'm an idiot. Simple, I don't have one. Do I need one?

+1
    Jay, I would second what Brendan said ... long lines, mounted high. Once I did that, I rarely had much in the catch can until lately. I noticed that after I installed my A kit SC and 42 lb injectors, the catch can caught quite a lot! What ends up in the catch can is not really oil, it is crankcase blowby, mostly gasoline, from running rich, typical with blower motors. I know the 42 lb injectors definitely have me running rich, and the catch can certainly shows it ... I think with your setup, getting something in the catch can is an indicator of being slightly rich ... which is good actually I think - safe ...

Quote Originally Posted by smc
    Nevermind I'm an idiot. Simple, I don't have one. Do I need one?

What type of air intake do you run? Do you have the crank case breather tube hooked into your air intake track. It would be hooked in around the front right side of your motor. The key here is to separate the crank breather from the air intake. We don't want oily residue flowing through our s/c's and i/c's.

http://jazproducts.com/tanks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil
    OK, this is driving me nuts....After a good day of riding I empty about 2 tablespoons of blow by from my catch can. Has a very light brown color, very very thin, and smells like pure gasoline. That amount is not the issue because I don't think that is much, or is it? The thing is that there is still blow by spray coming out from all areas of the catch can like the filter on top and the bottom where I drain it from (leaking). Is this because it is so diluted that it will come out or spray out of any available air outlet? The filter on top of the catch can is soaked. Oh, and I am not losing any oil at all. It never changes from the amount on the dipstick....
    Do you have a picture of your catch can ?
    Why does the catch can need to be high and long? I've don't the opposite, low and short. I want the oil/fumes/gas mixture to be pulled from the crankcase/piston heads. I've even got it hooked to my intake so I can get even more pull on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catch can v2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	484.8 KB 
ID:	6622  

Kinchyle - It's my understanding that, the combination of not having a vent on the top of your catch can -with- the hose sucking the fumes to your intake, will simply recycle the fumes/residue through your motor. And then you run the chance of mucking up your s/c and i/c.

Last edited by BDNJ; 08-07-2006 at 11:11 AM.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i happen to have one of those Jaz catch cans... that i'll be willing to sell. it's already ready to go with the 3/4" fitting since JAZ won't sell them "ready to go" ...

so if anyone is looking for one, i can have it dropped in the mail quicker than JAZ Products can

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information