Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

locked up motor?

i finally got everything in my raider, and was ready to start it, and it just kind of bangs when i hit the starter. i took the plugs out, and when i hit the starter, the pistons dont move! WTF. one is all the way up, the other is down, i can see one get pulled down a tiny bit when i hit start, but it wont budge. i guess its locked up. so much for using it this year i guess. im guessing i have to tear the whole thing apart. i thought i was going to be good to go, when it was winterized in 03, it was running, according to the previous owner.

+1
    Good chance the impeller has stuck in the pump take a look.

+1
    im going to check right now. the pistons both are covered in some kind of black stuff as well.

+1
    i think your right, i took off the intake grate, and im pretty sure its stuck. how do i fix this, wd40 and BFH?

+1
    i think my motor is probably toast now too, while i was looking online for a rebuilt motor, my boy who was helping me sprayed wd40 and pb penetrating down the spark plug holes in the motor. i told him go ahead and do what you want, since i thought it was the motor. im used to working on quads, i never thought of the impeller. so now the motor will probably blow up if i get it to start tomorrow.

+1
    Wow i dont know what that combination will do
    Whats pb penetrating ?
    Either pull the motor and go through it making sure all is ok or lube the crap out of it with 2 stroke oil and hope for the best.
    Leave the plugs out and add oil through the plug holes then rotate the crank to lube,hopefully the wd40 didn't get into the crank becase she didnt turn over.
    You might just be ok
    Wear ring in the pump has swolen up and is binding on the imp replace the wear ring and imp if needed.

I've been working with 2 strokes in snowmobiles and dirtbikes/ATV's for 20 years. WD40 and penetrating oil aren't going to hurt anything at all. In fact, a lot of people spray a little WD in the cylinders when they store their snowmobiles at the end of the winter. Like someone else said, put a tiny bit of 2 stroke oil into the cylinders and turn it over a few times. Even if you didn't do that, you'd be fine anyway.

John

That's exactly what I just went thru with my Raider, same combination - had to double check this wasn't my post! But it runs fine, smoked a bit at first and seems strong now.

+1
    thanks guys, i was ready to kill this kid thinking the motor was junk. the wd40 i wasnt worried about, i use it in my R/C truck motor for winter storage, i was worried about the pb stuff.

anyway, i got the back part of the jet unit off last night, now im up to the part that has the cone in it. so i need to buy an impeller removal tool today. is that something a marine supply store would have?

I got mine here http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Watercra...__W0QQ_armrsZ1 for $12.95 plus shipping, which I think was $6.00. That was the best price I found.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information