Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

My 06 RXP vs. 04 RXP Results

After putting 140 or so hours on my 04 RXP, I decided to pull the trigger on an 06 RXP to start tinkering with. As usual I am going to track my mods as I go. I thought some of you might find it interesting to see how the 04 and 06 RXPs compare at similar stages of modification. Here are some numbers from the 04 RXP:

Date: Sep-04
    Mods: Stock ski
    Altitude: 530 ft.
    Air temp: 87
    Water temp: 89
    Humidity: 78%
    Fuel: 1-2 bars
    Oil: Not sure
    Prop: Stock
    Boost: stock
    Max RPM: 7950
    Peak Speed: 67.1

Mods: Riva Power Filter
    Air temp: 88
    Water temp: 89
    Humidity: 78%
    Fuel: 1 bar
    Oil: Not sure
    Prop: Stock
    Max RPM: 8100
    Peak Speed: 68.4

Keep in mind these 04 RXP numbers are on a well broken in engine. Next you will see what my 06 RXP does with 1-4 hours on the engine in 12-15 degree hotter air. For reference sake, I generally see a 1 MPH gain/loss per every 10 degree air change. So theoretically, in 12-15 degree hotter air the same ski would be 1-1.5 MPH slower.
    Last edited by Jarrett; 08-06-2006 at 03:33 PM.

+1
    Here are my 06 numbers by comparison:

(Bear in mind these numbers are with a 315+lb rider in some of the worse performing air I've seen. I usually see a 1 MPH gain when I drop to sea level, and a 1-1.5 MPH gain when a lighter rider gets on my ski. So at sea level, with a normal rider these speeds could be 2-2.5 MPH faster.)

Date: 7/22/2006
    Mods: Stock
    Altitude: 530
    Air temp: 100
    Water temp: 90
    Humidity: 55%
    Fuel: 6 bars
    Oil: over full
    Prop: stock
    Max RPM: 7960
    Peak Speed: 66.7

Date: 8/6/2006
    Mods: RR ECU
    Rear air intake
    K&N/stock elbow
    Altitude: 530
    Air temp: 103
    Water temp: 93
    Humidity: 63%
    Fuel: 4 bars
    Prop: stock
    Max RPM: 8140
    Peak Speed: 69.5

It's hard to tell how much the ECU is helping at this point. As far as the air intake, all I did was unclamp the stock elbow hose from the SC and the rest of the air intake system and rotate it about 30 degrees or so up. Then I removed the plastic chute that comes down off the engine cowling. I then attached the K&N filter (that comes with the Riva air intake) onto the stock elbow and positioned it right under the rear vent in the engine cowling.

My very first run on this setup yielded 8200-8220 RPMs, but I didn't have the GPS on... Quickly after that the 103 degree, humid air soaked the engine down to where it fluctuated between 8120-8180 RPM.
    I think the RR ECU has too rich of a fuel map for the stock setup. I get a little bogging at idle and when I blip the throttle. I guess I need to lean it out with a little more boost
    Last edited by Jarrett; 08-06-2006 at 03:34 PM.

+1
    The RR ECU will be way rich without the external intercooler.

+1
    At least take out the stock intercooler so it can breathe.
    More BOOST! more BOOST!

+1
    leave the stock ic in it and put a bkit on it with no fuel controller and take out 30thou out of the prop. it should run 75mph do doubt

+1
    More results from the 06 RXP. A little different than I expected. 5 MPH gain today up from the last set of mods and 8 MPH over stock.

I gotta say thanks to Franko for working on this with me. Just so you know, Franko friggin rocks on modding RXPs now. Definitely the best dude in Texas I know of thats working on them. Also, thanks to S71BB for the assistance as well!

Previous Mods:

Rotax Racing Reflashed ECU
    K&N/Stock elbow/rear air intake

Mods added this time:

Rotax Racing IC
    Rotax Racing Exhaust Pipe
    Rotax Racing SC Impeller
    Les washers
    42lb injectors
    Riva Grate
    Riva Pro OPAS B/Os
    Riva SS Wear Ring
    GreenHulk tweaked Solas 15/20 (-2mm)
    Rideplate holes filled
    Removed nose cone

Date: 9/4/2006
    Air temp: 75
    Water temp: 82
    Humidity: 100% (raining)
    Fuel: 8 bars (full)
    Rider Weight: 320
    Prop: GreenHulk tweaked Solas 15/20 (-2mm)
    Boost: ? (near 10)
    Max RPM: 8380
    Peak Speed: 74.5

Notes: Weird day. It was raining lightly all day and very foggy. Temps were down and RPMs were up, but the RPMs/speed didn't jive with this pump combo. Usually 8350 RPM on this pump setup equals 75 MPH (on lower gas). Since it’s a new ski, we sorta have to take it at face value, but the 04 RXP was showing the same signs. We guessed it was one of more of these three things that could be affecting performance: Humidity, removed nose cones, or weather blocked GPS. Jury is still out.

On a positive note, the ski ran flawlessly the first time we took it out after mods. That's a first for us. Usually, there is something that needs tweaking after a massive mod install, but I guess Franko and I are getting better at this.

Also, this ski is at least 2 boat lengths quicker than my similarly-equipped 04 RXP and potentially 1-1.5 MPH faster but we need to verify that with the GPS next time out. It also hooks up well in the chop, shows no signs of porpoising and corners *much* better that my 04 RXP. The 06 sponsons/Riva Pro-Series blockoff combo on this ski produced some surprising cornering results that I did not expect at all. It's one of the best turning RXPs I've ridden to date.

So far the ski and setup are working out well. It really needs a better air intake system and a little prop bending to get more performance out of it, but overall I am definitely digging the results.

Overall, I think these are not bad results for a couple hack modders and a fat man supermanning blindly through the rain on a full tank of gas
    Last edited by Jarrett; 09-04-2006 at 09:29 PM.

+1
    That is awesome Jarrett! Glad to hear that 06 is running good for you.

Sweet! Those 06's might be special..... I hope so thats what mine is Mine is coming along aswell it broke 80 the other day at only 8300. Should have some better #'s than 80.6 by next weekend or so its getting the nozzle kit new prop and valve train upgrade. Gonna get it up to about 8500-8550 so she can boost a little more. Oh also gonna rig up sum kinda 4 inch intake system.

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    Hey Jarrett just so you know for future reference:

water is the single biggest detrimental thing to GPS signal, be it rain, suspended in heavy cloud cover, the moisture in foliage, etc...The thicker the suspended moisture the worse the GPS signal...Reason being:

GPS equipment is set to receive a signal from the satelites within a very specific wavelength range...Obviously water being denser than air creates "drag" which slows and lengthens the signal wavelength degrading signal accuracy (since the GPS receiver can't know the atmospheric conditions and take it into account error is created in the signal latency which generates error in the positional readings which are what is used to calculate speed)...

Now recreational grade GPS receivers have a less rigid wavelength redundancy than the survey grade stuff I use for a living but it still affects the signal...

Just something I thought would interest you to know...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeplessnMS
    Sweet! Those 06's might be special..... I hope so thats what mine is Mine is coming along aswell it broke 80 the other day at only 8300.
    That's cool that Shibby's B Kit is paying off for you. You are going to be catching Sandrock soon at those speeds.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information